Find
Notify
Tools

bented shoulder, what else to try?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of moved2ski
posted
I have just started loading .375HH. I started with new unfired brass, trimmed to length, sized with no problem. I loaded 40 cases and found excellent results. I now attmept to resize my brass for the second time and find a large dent in the shoulder, I raise the die 1/8 turn, then 1/4, the 1/2. All resulting in dented shoulders. Thinking I may have lube build up in the die I disasembled the die, flushed with hot water, wiped it out with a Q-tip. Still getting dents. I now clean it with brake cleaner, and force a clean rag through the die. No sign of dirt of residue on the rag. Still getting a dent. I have reread the speer manual section on resizing 100 times and still can not tell what I am doing wrong. I feel it is a simple beginners mistate, But I am out of ideas.

Posts: 51 | Location: Las Vegas via Nebraska | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
I'd try the brake cleaner again and spin a gun cleaning bronze brush in a drill down in your die...the bronze brush won't hurt it and it will clean the crap out of there. Sounds like you got some build up on the shoulder of your die.

One of Us
Picture of moved2ski
posted Hide Post
Dixiedog, I did as you said and it did not help. any other idias?

Posts: 51 | Location: Las Vegas via Nebraska | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
move2ski
It sounds like lube dents. I think you need to start with less lube and try to use a little less on each case until you think they will stick in the die. A strong press helps since you are less tempted to over lube the cases.

How about removing the expander ball.
then screw the die in about half of the neck too short. As you size in short increments use only the smallest amount of lube possible.

• Size a sample case.
  • Turn the die down a thread one turn
  • Size the same case again and inspect it
  • Turn the die down again
  • Size and inspect again
  • As you go only lube just enough for the short amount of sizing to be done, wipe off any excess lube you see being pushed up to the neck.
  • keep sizing & turning the die down and lubing until the case is fully sized

Basically you have to learn to sneak up on it.
Once you learn how little lube you can get away with you can FL size the case in one stroke.
Keep watching for lube dents. We all have to learn that.

If all that does not work try another die.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not too likely, but there may be a factory defect in the die.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of which hasn't been covered abvove is that the case may be somehow sealing some air in the portion of the die above the shoulder just after the neck of the case enters the neck portion of the die,

For that to be true though, the bottom of the die would have to be in contact all the way around the case, and the neck of the die would have to be in contact all the way around the neck. If so, then in theory, it might be possible to trap enough air in there to have the air cause the dint as it was compressed by forcing the case the rest of the way into the die.

Not sure I have ever heard of that happening in real life, but I suppose it is possible.

Another thing I would suggest checking for is maybe the dents are there after you first fire the cases, but before you put them into the die? A minimal powder charge will sometimes fail to completely seal the front of the case in the rifle chamber and gas pressure flowing back from the mouth of the case will dent the shoulders. Almost always, that will leave the necks/shoulders dirty with powder residue though, and should be very noticeable.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with some brass once and found that it was a little short and I had set back the sholder when fl resized. 375 brass heads spaces on the belt.
The brass had to stretch a lot to fill out the chamber and when it was resized after the first firing a good many of them had dents.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The brass had to stretch a lot to fill out the chamber and when it was resized after the first firing a good many of them had dents.

That is a very good point and true.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Is there a air vent on the upper 2/3 of the die? I`ve had these get plugged and cause the shoulder to dent. Redding IIRC does not offer these.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of moved2ski
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I am so frustrated now that I put everything away and will try again in a few days. I am thinking I have a long chamber. This is a new rifle to me and I know it was rebarrled. Also I just broke my second decappin pin. Could I have a bent stem on my on my expander that is causing the case to not line up square in the die?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Joe has a good thought. I had the vent hole plug and also get covered up by the lock nut before so the die could not vent on some RCBS. What kind of lube are you using, how are you applying it?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moved2ski:
Thanks for the advice guys, I am so frustrated now that I put everything away and will try again in a few days. I am thinking I have a long chamber. This is a new rifle to me and I know it was rebarrled. Also I just broke my second decappin pin. Could I have a bent stem on my on my expander that is causing the case to not line up square in the die?

Just try your die without the decapper.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Lube every other case. Clean Vent Hole like Ol Joe said. Are you sure the dents are not formed on firing?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we try to over think a thing. I think Ol Joe has a good point. Also, try less lube. What kind of lube are you using and what is your method?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote