New
Find
Notify
Tools

hornady super shock tip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
has anyone got any experience of this bullet.they have just been released here in the uk.i am interested in the 6mm 95g ones.how do they perform in terms of accuracy and expansion? has anyone got the b.c for them.
thanks

Posts: 50 | Location: england | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't show a listing for the 95gr SST, but the 100gr SST shows a BC of .355 (RCBS load software). Expansion wise, there in the same class as the Nosler "Balistic Tip" (95gr, BC .379 from the same software).
I've been happy with the 30cal BT's I've used, while others seem to hate them.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bunnybasher
You can always check at the hornady web-site for "BC's" of all their bullets. SST's behave much as their their bullets, only more areo-dynamic.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I found the 150 grainers to be very accurate in my 15" .308 Encore barrel. However, I was not impressed with their results on game. In my two experiences (two feral goats), they acted just like big v-maxes - minimal penetration, maximum expansion. However, my experience seems to be the exception to the rule. Most folks that I've seen posting about the SSTs have had great luck with them, both with accuracy and with on-game performance. I say give them a try, it's not often that you go wrong with Hornady products in my experience.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rercovered some from some wet phone books, and they completely came apart. i would only use them for vermin.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I uesed Sierra for years, I used Hornady SST during the 2001-2002 deer season. (165gr. 30/06 & 140gr .270)Killed 5 deer, 3 bucks 2 does. Two of the bucks had massive intry wound (behind the sholder shots) were still alive, Had to finish off at close range. The other 3 deer were found dead with messive intry wound and a lot of meat damage. The 2002-2003 season went back to Sierra had the outstanding sucess from this bullet like I always had, killed 6 deer with good clean kills. My oppinion, the SST is a good varment bullet bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two of my hunters used them last year on mule deer. Both shooting 300 Win. Bullets performed well. One took a very close shot (25 yds) in heavy brush. Bullet entered behind shoulder and left a very nice exit wound in off side ribs. Buck was dead before he hit the ground. The other fellow took a smallish buck in the neck at about 150 yds. Turned him a complete flip - also dead before he hit the ground. I was impressed. Pretty sure they were using the 180 gr weights.
IMHO Hornady don't make no bad bullets when they are used for appropriate applications with respect to velocity and game.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used the SST's so far on an antelope this year and was impressed. Fom 190yrds w/my 7mm-08 using 139SST's, broke the shoulder, then the brisket, then the neck, then exited (antelope knew I was close, was nervous and must have turned as I fired, only an antelope but it went through alot of bone). I think SST's penetrate better than the Nosler ballistic tips. I think the ballistic tip may have a thinner jacket with no cannelure/interlock ring which probably gives it an edge in accuracy, but the SST is plenty accurate (easily MOA in my rifle).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of pdkillr
posted Hide Post
SHot the biggest axis I have ever seen 34 in plus with my 300 165 g sst's at 75 yds aimed for the shoulder, went down got up and ran gave him an hour started following blood trail when found him got up and ran again gave him more time then followed blood trail til 10 that night and several hours the next day at least 3 miles bled the whole time never foud him blood trail just stopped. Man wish I still had my tracking dog!!! Now I know shot placement is crucial but with all the blood and coming from a 300 I fell if the bullet would have performed better I would have him on the wall. Also shot a fallow buck at 300 yds thru the shoulder same gun and 165 sst knocked him down got up ran 100 yds then bedded down on a hillside watched him for 1 hour never died finally let a friend finish him off with his 270. Nedless to say the bullet went completely thru but diddnt kill. HAve 3 boxes of them bullets only use them to sight in b/c hornady wont take them back!!!! My 2 cents.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
pdkillr, Did I read that post right ?? You shot him in the shoulder got complete penetration and it didn't kill him. Did the bullet expand at all ????

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded them for 2 guys last year. 270 win with 140 sst's. Both reported very big wound channels and alot of bloodshot meat. Both took shots under 100 yds --wisconsin whitetail. One guy wants more and likes the destruction because here on public land a deer that runs 150 yds may become someone elses--the other guy wants tougher bullets this year in case of bad angle shooting.

That may pretty well summarize the difference of opinion. (kinda like the love/hate relationship with ballistic tips).

FYI--I had read that a Hornady rep had told a forum poster that the jacket on the sst was thicker than the regular interlock that so many people seem to love. On a rainy day I cut two bullets apart with a die grinder and found the jackets identical. To me the plastic tip is just plain gonna get that jacket expanding "right now" where the lead tip probably controls it.

It's probably a lesson like going out with women. The plain jane is usually the best bet in consistan reliabillity!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote