THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 6.5 120g Sierra Pro Hunter for Southern Whitetail?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5 120g Sierra Pro Hunter for Southern Whitetail?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
rickt,

Read about Fit 4 Duty (including prices) here: Fit 4 Duty

HogWild

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was hoping for more details on experience where a Sierra Pro Hunter actually shot through a shoulder along with the muzzle velocity and approximate distance. I'm not worried about the bullet performing on a lung shot......if it won't work there it is useless in all big game applications. Some of you may have hit a shoulder with the Pro Hunter and if so, I would appreciate more details. I've heard several bad experiences with Gamekings in the past and am trying to discern if the Pro Hunter is a different breed.

I sure want to try them for myself.......but doubt I risk anything on this years hunt. When I have time, I'll do some testing as Beemanbeme suggested. It's a little too close to season to spend much time experimenting.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only shot one deer with the 120 sierra. But that was in a 6.5 gibbs at 3400+ fps. The deer didnt come out across the field like I thought it would, but walked out 80 yds away quartering to me. I hit it on the edge of the shoulderblade, and it passed out through the ribs opposit side. The bullet didnt blow as i had thought it would! I realize one kill doesnt mean much, but I was impressed with the toughness of the bullet.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put together some 110 grain prohunters pushed to 2800 fps out of my 270 for a light recoiling load and it worked perfectly on several Texas Whitetails for my girlfriend at the time. Only found one under the hide on the far side of a 150 pound buck. It was a nice mushroom. Don't buy into the partition crap for hunting deer as there is no need for them and other bullets perform better on deer.

Could you give the address of Fit For Duty and how much it cost to get the finish applied?

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you get too deep into load development, why don't you load up some NP's and Pro Hunters in a say 80% max load and do some wet phone book tests. Did you have your rifle "AI'd" to go faster or to shoot a bigger bullet at the same as standard speed? I think our deer must be about the same size as yours and I'm working up a load with 140's. But then, I am decidedly a large for calibre man.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote