One of Us
posted
An ad in Handloader Magazine #17 Jan-Feb 1969

RIFLE RANCH
PREPAID SMOKELESS POWDER SALE
HODGDON No. 4831 - H570 - H870
100lb...$65
PREPAID TO YOU
Sale Prices on Primers, Bullets, Loading Tools, etc.
Write for details.
RIFLE RANCH
Route 1
Prescott, Arizona 86301
(Jim Wilkinson, owner)

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In that year,that was about 3 days pay for me.
Would also still have powder.

Posts: 64 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crabyx78:
In that year,that was about 3 days pay for me.
Would also still have powder.

Yup, I was going to school and workin' part time. Can't remember what I was makin', maybe $2/hr (+/-)?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThose three and h4895 was all I used back than. The coating on the 870 would foul a rifle faster than anything I ever saw. Filthy stuff.
Actually the H4831 came in 50# drums also. A couple of us would split it.
Roll EyesCompressing 40 gr. of it with a 70 Barnes' bullet in the 22 Varminter was my go to Mule deer combo. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe $2/hr

If you were making $2/hr in '69, you were doin' well. I made two dollars an hour in the summer of 1974. I remember the minimum wage was $1.65, then took that huge leap to two bucks. We were in the chips, man. Whew! That was big, big money back then. You could buy almost five gallons of gas with two bucks. A whole day at the golf course was four dollars for as many holes as you could play. I had a Daisy Model 1894 lever-action BB gun-- got it for just twenty bucks. My brother and I would go to the "happy hunting ground" (a huge quarry filled with water not far from our house) and shoot frogs. I decided it would be much more fun if he had a BB gun, too, so I scraped up another twenty and bought him one. Two brothers, ages 16 and 14, with two BB guns can lead to only one destination: We decided to "hunt" each other at the happy hunting ground. We'd put on our ski goggles, thick coats and two pairs of jeans, slip out of the house after dinner, walk to the quarry and go at it. One would get a five-minute head start and the other would hunt him down. The hidden could shoot first and win the game. Yeah, we actually did stupid shit like that. I can sure tell you: BBs hurt!!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yea ; Well I was in the Army and my powder was free , as was my ammunition meals and those wonderful

sleepless nights !. Oh I almost forgot those really nifty GROUND FLOOR accommodations Man I hate SNAKES !.

You really don't want to know how much I was paid, that's REALLY EMBARRASSING !. Frowner Eeker

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Freshman in college previous summer worked roofing houses for $1.50/hr. I do remember buying H4831 a year or two after that for a dollar or two a pound.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Tazman1602
posted Hide Post
THAT WASN'T FUNNY. I had the address copied and pasted and the letter half written before I caught the date.............that was about a weeks pay back then at less than $2/hour...........

Man you got me all excited.......<GRIN>

OH FOR THE DAYS OF THE $25 MAUSER ACTIONS!!

Posts: 19 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's go back two more years to 1967 and buy our firearms via mail order again ...

While we're dreaming aloud ...

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't remember what I charged, but I made enough mowing lawns and doing snow removal to pay for my new 110 John Deere tractor. I never could afford that new 788 Remington as every time I went to Coast to Coast the price increased, anyway I finally got that 220 Swift in '75.

Remember when fur prices skyrocketed in the late 70's? I got my moneys worth out of that rifle several times over. My '74 K25 went to 100,000 miles and only needed a fuel pump, and best of all it was only $4800.00, not $48K like modern ones...