New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going nuts-cases won't fit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a new one for me. Maybe others have seen the problem. I was loading for a friend's 22-250 on a blueprinted M700 action, PacNor barrel. Full length sized cases wouldn't chamber. Was chamber too short? Cases too long? Final answer: RCBS FL die too deep. The chamber was cut to minimum SAAMI spec by a very competent gunsmith. The die worked fine for my old 788 22-250. God knows how deep the chamber is.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have a redding die for 243 like that. chucked up in a lathe and took .003" off and it works.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very recent production RCBS 223Rem Neck Size die that I'm going to have a machinist friend wack 0.020" off of.

Even screwed all the way onto "Camming" against the shell holder it won't size all the way to the neck-shoulder junction.

Atleast I now know why it was in theBargain cave in Cabela's Kearney Nebraska store...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It must be the weather, last weekend I had a friend over and we were loading his 243 and I had the same problem! I ground off a bit of the shell holder but it pulled the rim off the holder eventually so we finished loading the brass in my dillon.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem with a RCBS FL sizing die for my .257 Wby Mag. My old Lyman die will produce ammo that will chamber in my and my son-in-law's rifles but the RCBS sized ammo would not chamber in his rifle (was snug in mine). I have sent it back to RCBS. Their customer service department said they'd take care of it. I'm assuming they will since I've heard such good things about RCBS customer service.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote