New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Barnes 168gr LRX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was curious if anyone has loaded and tested the new Barnes 168gr LRX yet? If so, what are your thoughts? I have loaded a few with H1000 and Federal M215 primers but am not too impressed. At least not yet. Velocity was OK, 2800fps but accuracy was suspect. I am thinking maybe my barrel twist, 1:9.5, is not enough to stabilize the bullet. Barnes does recommend 1:9

My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist

Posts: 26 | Location: CA | Registered: 15 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just this morning, I was loading the 175gr LRX for a friends 300Winmag. We found a very accurate load for it last year, and he used it to kill a very nice bull elk last year. I wasn't with him on the hunt, but the bull was about 300yds away, face on, and dropped at the shot and didn't wiggle. The bullet was recovered in the right rear leg, and weighs 100%.

Not the 7mm, I know, but thought this might help.

Let me add that the LRX bullet, and this is the only LRX we have tried, has not been as easy to accurize as the TSX or the T-TSX. The on-game performance appears to be the same though.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use TTSX in my 30-378. With 98 grains RL22, 215s, and 180 TTSX; I get 3200, 99 grains gives me 3270.

I have this old rem 700, 7 mag that has killed all kinds of moose & caribou over the years. When I started reloading, I had over 1200 pieces of brass from that one gun. So I use 160 nosler partitions, 59 grains IMR 4350 and I'm only getting 2800 on my chrono also; figured I'd get a little more?

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Range update. I went out with some of the new 168gr LRX in 7mm and found them to be as accurate as the old MRX, which I loved. Federal brass, Federal 215 primers, 70gr of H1000, 3.30" COAL which set it back .030 off the lands, .75" at 100 yds in 5 shot group. Velocity was 3036fps.

I also had some of the 145's with RL22 that I had planned on using this fall on mulies and ran 15 of them over the chrono as well. I was surprised to find a 125fps increase in velocity with the exact same load I shot back in April. The main difference was temperature at the range. 52*F in April and 91* a few days ago. No pressure signs but I did not expect that much of a difference. I have heard the RL22 is not stable in varying temps so now I have the proof. Even with the lack of pressure I think I will back off a little if I continue with the RL22 in the warmer temps.

My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist

Posts: 26 | Location: CA | Registered: 15 September 2011Reply With Quote