New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Chronographs, please.
 Login/Join

<BigFoot 15-4E>
posted
I have finally admitted that I need a chronograph, put am having a difficult time chosing which one. Unfortunately at $395, the Oehler 35p is simply too expansive. So that leaves me with having to chose one of the fallowing:

CED Millennium Chrono with IR upgrade for $260;
Shooting Crony, Master with printer for $154.50;

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with either of the two chrono's I've listed.
I am leaning towards the CED because the maker claims that it is as accuate as the 35p and with the IR upgrade, will work perfectly in ANY light, even in total darkness, and is totally portable.
I have heard that all chrono's have a problem operating correctly in certain types of light and would also like anyones opinion on this so as to explain it to me. I would also like to know if anyone knows if the CED's IR (infred)censor upgrade (a cost of $89) actually works as advertized.

As always, greatest of thanks to any and all who take the time to help me out with their knowledge.

Regards,
BigFoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had an old Oehler, a Pact, and Chrony. My recommendation would be the Chrony with the bench readout. Finesse the print out. You can write the information down regarding velocity. If you miss one, it remembers it, and you can have it read the last few shots back. I don't know about you, but my computer program has statistical package that will slice and dice the info after I plug it in. You'll save about $50. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a $45 Chrony, and it works just fine. Give it sky above, and I've never had a problem. I have a pencil, and thus don't need the memory, and I don't shoot indoors. So it's fine for me, and $200 cheaper than the others, including a tripod.

But I am not a hard core user, either. I use it about once a month.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get the chrony, if it's your first chrono. you wont feel too bad when your friends or you shoot it (it'll happen, bet me) there are several versions of the chrony, with a couple options. the master pack usually has a printer, but it's U G L Y and not worth it, as I write all that down in a reloading book anyway.
but, do get the bench readout (as mentioned), it'll not only let you read it clearly, it will let you clear errors from the bench, and let you set it exactly the same distance every time. for about 100 bucks. Oh, yeah, get the carrying case... trust me.
as for not being a hardcore user, well, just having one makes you a (semi) hardcore reloader... i see about 2 a month at the local ranges.

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<rg1>
posted
You can get the Oehler 35p "without" the printer for a lot less money. It's what I have and I've been pleased with mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the CED Millennium with the IR upgrade and I believe that it works as advertised. This is the only chronograph that I've owned so I can't compare it to any other brand. I will tell you though, that with the IR upgrade I've used it on bright sunny days, partly cloudy days, totally overcast days, and even at an indoor range without any errors.

-- Scott

Posts: 47 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have the Chrony Gamma Master and two Chrony F-1's. They do everything I want the to do.

I have the Gamma set 15' from the muzzle, one F-1 half-way downrange, and the second one about 5' in front of the target.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Another vote for the Chrony. I have an old F1 model, never a problem.

<eldeguello>
posted
I have an ITCC, an Oehler, and a Chrony. The more expensive Oehlers are the best of course, but the Chrony does everything I need one for. It is so much easier to set up, it is the only one I use any more. It is also as accurate as any, although perhaps more dependent upon good light conditions.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've also only used a Chrony, and it rarely misses a shot, even on bright, days at 5,000 feet. As long as the sun is not over-head, it seems to do fine.

I did start missing reads the other day when the sun hit the horizon. Bummer. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would wait, save the extra $200 and buy the Oehler 35P. There are more important readings than just velocity and it is a pain having to write down the individual velocity, standard deviation, extreme spread, etc. for each group. Also, the Oehler is extremely accurate. This is not so important when measuring just velocity, but is very important when measuring standard deviation. An error margin of 5% is too much when measuring Std. Deviation. Several of the cheaper Chrono's have an error margin of 5% or greater. Also, the Oehler has a check screen which actually enables the Oehler to measure the velocity for each bullet twice. Thereby eliminating many errors. The 47th edition of the Lyman Reloading Manual has a good section explaining the importance of a quality Chrono. They use the Oehler as their example. I saved a little longer for the Oehler and have no regrets. Maybe "eldeguello" will sell you his Oehler as he doesn't use it anymore. [Big Grin]
Good Luck.

[ 07-11-2002, 19:31: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
I have a Chrony Master Beta and have compared readings with my buddy's Oehler 35P. Results are identical. He intends to buy a Chrony because of it's ease of use and simplicity. Save your $200.00.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigFoot 15-4E,

Now it looks like there are two people who may have a used Oehler to sell you. Let's see if they offer them up to you. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by RickMD:
I have a Chrony Master Beta and have compared readings with my buddy's Oehler 35P. Results are identical. He intends to buy a Chrony because of it's ease of use and simplicity. Save your $200.00.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe everyone who says you want the remote readout, because most ranges won't be able to allow you to walk up to the thing until a cease-fire. Other than that, the beta has the memory and calculation features that you need for 80% of your scribbling. If you need more, you probably want the best of the best anyway.

I have the master beta chrony, I'm happy with it. It does fine with paintballs and BBs as well as bullets. It doesn't do arrows though. For arrows you need the archery chrony.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Well, I must be the only one who's struggled with a Chrony F1 given the preceding responses. Glad SOMEONE's works!

Mine would only display a certain list of numbers as velocity. Weird. Never a few feet one side or the other, just that one figure. It had a few responses it liked and would display only readings from that set. No, my loads don't ALL have a SD of zero!

I got used to loading at least half again as many test rounds as necessary, fully expecting the Chrony to miss many of them. I tried just about every light condition with little improvement or difference. After 6 or 7 years of swearing at that infernal contraption, I succumbed to primal feelings and BLASTED it dead center just to see the tripod tumble over backward. I feel much better. It was worth it.

I've been told the Pro Chrono is a better setup but have no experience with it. I'll report when I find one.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
[Roll Eyes] You know, redial, the Chrony folks WOULD have fixed it for free, prior to blasting it, of course. I DO like the way you think, though. [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
About the Chrony Gamma Master...(For $132!)

First of all, accuracy is 0.5% ... (that is a variation of +/- 7.5 fps for a 3000 fps load! And THAT is close enough for all my loading!)

In addition, it comes with a printer, software, several sets of rods and screens and all the cables.

Data obtainable and printable with the Gamma Master is:

Hi velocity
Lo Velocity
Ave velocity
Extreme Spread
Standard Deviation
1000 shot memory
Time elapsed between shots
Total time elapsed
Will switch between f/s and m/s
Data can be printed while shooting or dumped when you get home.

Generally when I hear someone complain about a Chrony when I am at the range, the problem is always operator error.

Main problems are:

Unit too close to muzzle;
Incorrect lighting conditions;
They are shooting outside the acceptable sensor limits (from 8"x8" to 14.5"x14.5");
Or they are using a regular battery instead of an alkaline (to save a stinking 35-cents!)

You have your choices...

Spend $400 now for a chrony;
Save until you have $400 (and go without a chrony)
Or spend $132 now and enjoy the Chrony...

Like I said earlier, I have three Chronys, and have NEVER had any trouble with any of them since day one.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
First of all, accuracy is 0.5% ... (that is a variation of +/- 7.5 fps for a 3000 fps load! And THAT is close enough for all my loading!)

According to the #47 Lyman Reloading Manual 0.5% variation is too much. Not for velocity readings, but for standard deviation. In my opinion, as with anything else you get what you pay for.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
The only complaint I have about my 35p is the time you have to spend to set it up.I went with the oehler due to the fact that if I shoot a "eye",It can be replaced,not having to buy a whole new unit.I did manage to shoot one one day with my .40 s+w,firing off-hand,but I must have missed the vitals,'cause it works fine.The only writing I do while testing is the load and date on the print out paper.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
Chrony with remote read-out. Midway has them on sale periodicly for about $65. I don't feel the need for more than what it gives me, although I am on my third unit (aiming errors, not product defects..and don't laugh, it will happen to you too sooner or later). All have worked perfectly in all light and I don't use the diffuser screens at all, just the aluminum posts to set placement with the rifle.

<sakoguy>
posted
I have an F1 Chrony and the thing works great. I write the numbers down and I think the thing was under $65. Never a problem getting it to work in any light, and I've never even had to set up the diffusers. We did muzzle blast the faceplate off of the LCD display though, guess we set it up a bit close that time. Still works fine. Good luck with whatever you end up getting. -SAKOGUY

<.>
posted
Lessee here . . .

Putting things into perspective.

I drop $100 all the time on ammo. $100 here, $100 there . . . surplus ammo by the case, match bullets, about five pounds of powder. Brass, primers, reloading tools.

I have a $1500 rifle, actually a couple. Several thousand dollars into handguns. If I look at holsters, belts, leather generally . . . hundreds and hundreds of bucks.

Gun cases . . . $$$

Cleaning gear . . . $$$

Gas to get to the range . . . $$$

Shooting range membership . . . $$$

At just $10/hr, I have thousands of dollars spent on reloading, researching, developing, fine tuning . . .

Not counting my surplus Mausers . . . most of my guns run several hundred $$$.

So . . . when I thought about a chronograph, I asked Saeed. Saeed recommended Oehler with ALL the chrono lab accessories.

I went for the 35P . . . double screens, hard copy print out, computes high/low, mean, standard deviation. Worth every single cent, and a bargin when compared to the money I have invested in my gear.

Developing loads for an Ackley Improved required that I own a chronograph. Owning a chronograph has moved my reloading into a whole new plane of sophistication.

Oehler 35P, and you'll thank me later. I promise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Chrony!!
Be aware it cant survive a 500 grains bullet from a 460 Weatherby!! [Razz] (I know)

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<J Snyman>
posted
I have a Chrony F1 and it works fine..

To protect it (?) in case of mishap I have fitted my one into a 3mm steel channel profile with a piece of 10mm thick armour plate welded at a 45 degree angle to the front of it. Then I have some black insulation tape markers on the posts and sky screens to facilitate accurate shooting over the sensors.

Johan

<BigFoot 15-4E>
posted
Greatest of thanks to meny people who took the time to help me out with their knowledge. I am quite frankly overwhelmed by the amount of responces I received. I will consider all that was stated, and make my choise. Thanks to the generocity of the responces, I feel much more capable of making an informed purchase.
Once again, greatest of thanks to all.

Best wishes to all,
Bigfoot.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ghengis,

Let's put a different perspective on this?

A $150 savage, tweaked, tuned.
BLM shooting range, home made bench, and bucket to sit on.
Economy truck
Bulk Hornady bullets, once fired brass, surplus powder.
$14 gun case.

The extra $300 makes a BIG DIFFERENCE, thank you! JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have used a Beta and Gamma Chrony for years. In checking them against an Oehler I have found no difference in the information provided. I use my Chrony 3 days a week, every week, the set up time and trouble are big with me. Give me the Chrony for the information I need. Good shooting.

<JOHAN>
posted
You get what you pay for

I use an old Oehler 35 without printer. The best shooting piece I have bought for a long time. It was sour to cough up the dosh but well worth it [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<chevota>
posted
I bought the basic Crony and have only had it out maybe 5 times now. The readings are often "error" or just not right, like less than 200fps to over 6000fps for stuff I know came out between 1200 and 2200.
So I'm just not sure I trust its accuracy even when it gives consistant #'s.

Yeah I know I need to return it, just haven't got around to it.

<southern cross>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigFoot 15-4E:
[qb]I have finally admitted that I need a chronograph, put am having a difficult time chosing which one. Unfortunately at $395, the Oehler 35p is simply too expansive. So that leaves me with having to chose one of the fallowing:

CE

[ 07-15-2002, 19:31: Message edited by: southern cross ]

<southern cross>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BigFoot 15-4E:
I have finally admitted that I need a chronograph, put am having a difficult time chosing which one. Unfortunately at $395, the Oehler 35p is simply too expansive. So that leaves me with having to chose one of the fallowing:

CED Millennium Chrono with IR upgrade for $260;
Shooting Crony, Master with printer for $154.50;

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with either of the two chrono's I've listed.
I am leaning towards the CED because the maker claims that it is as accuate as the 35p and with the IR upgrade, will work perfectly in ANY light, even in total darkness, and is totally portable.
I have heard that all chrono's have a problem operating correctly in certain types of light and would also like anyones opinion on this so as to explain it to me. I would also like to know if anyone knows if the CED's IR (infred)censor upgrade (a cost of $89) actually works as advertized.

As always, greatest of thanks to any and all who take the time to help me out with their knowledge.

Regards,
BigFoot.

[Razz]