New
Find
Notify
Tools

300wsm shooting HEAVY bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to shoot 220SMK's through my 20" barreled custom..........I can't seem to find much reloading data for 220 or 240SMK's........everyone seems to have stopped at 200gr.

Anyone have data for 220SMK's, using RL19, RL22 or 4350, H1000, 7828???

Also, most of the hotter loads call for compressing the powder. How do you guys do that? Drop it through a tall tube, tap it with a dowel rod, tap the case on the bench to settle it?

thx
jordan

You only live ONCE!!!!!!!!!! So LIVE it UP!!!!!!!!

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has shot the heavy bullets in these?

Posts: 295 | Location: houston, TX USA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I've shot through 200's with 4831 (great) 4350, Magpro, and Vn560.

220's should work fine, especially if you load them out long. I've been meaning to ge tsome 220s for shits and giggles...it should work fine.

There have been some other threads about 300WSM's and heavy bullets, you might try searching older records from a few months back.

Hodgdon had loading data through 220 grainers.

Hodgdon data

When steve gets his website back up he has a lot of data too. www.stevespages.com

Have fun!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the 210 Berges in a 300WSM.
Accuracy is excelent with IMR7828ssc.
There is some compression due to the bullet setting back in the brass.

Have you contaced SMK and ask for load data?

Berger will give you starting data if you e-mail them your barrel data.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Nosler gives data for their 220gr partition.

They list the most accurat powder as IMR-4831 @ 58gr. Min 58gr Max 62gr.

RL-19 Min *59.5 Max 63.5

RL-22 Min 60.5 Max *64.5

IMR-4350 Min 56 Max 60 Accuracy *58

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't (and won't) own a Win Silly Mag, but compressed normaly refers to having the powder somewhat into the neck before you seat the bullet. The bullet being seated is the compression tool (compressed loads normaly run 101-110% of the case gross case capacity (to the mouth) minus the volume taken up by the bullets shank).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links and info guys.....I'll report my five days of range time I'm gonna do this week.......and let you know what I get.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Nothing new for me! I say BS to the urban myth that 300 WSM can't shoot heavy bullets! Mine can and does.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Onle final question here guys.............I just thought of this........

The custom 300wsm I'm shooting is an ultralight...... carbon fiber wrapped barrel, and a Remington 700 Titanium action.........Will either of these items mean that I should take extra caution with the hotter loads?

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
It depends. How tough is your shoulder?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm reloading 80 different charged rounds for tomorrow.........I figure I won't have any teeth left.............It weighs 4 lbs 15 ozs.....without scope, and 5 lbs 15 ozs with the scope and rings. If you guys don't get my report in the next couple days, call 911.

It is one of the Todd Bettin Customs........

here is a link of one that looks very similar to mine, but I got a camo paint job on the stock, and GunKote in OD on the metal.....

http://bettincustomguns.com/Titanium%20Composite/Titanium%20Composite.htm

http://bettincustomguns.com/Photo%20Gallery/Remington%20TI%206.htm

He did a load work-up and barrel break in, and got a .670" three shot group at 250 yds, and a .240" three shot group at 100 yds.....with SMK 220's. I'm thinking a 25# sack of lead shot will help GREATLY.

cheers,
Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jordan, Are you just cutting paper with it, or do you plan to use the load for Hunting?

Sounds like a great rifle to me, but I'd have to pass on the WSM case. Not intended as a negative comment toward your choice however.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I'm one of the ONLY people out there who is a true believer in the SMK's for hunting. Sierra says they are NOT for hunting also, but I respectfully disagree with every bone in my body. I have used 168, 180, 200, and 220 SMK to take 8 elk, around 80-100 deer, a dozen or so coyotes, a dozen or so hogs, a dozen or so bobcats, a nice mulie, and countless varmints.........at ranges varying from 50 yds to 980yds (last years elk). The elk have been from 200-980yds, and the two years before last year where at 680yds, and 600yds. I mention these to give way to the conclusion of this fact......I haven't lost ONE animal that I hit with the SMK's. If that doesn't say something profound, we all need to reread what was just written. Alright, I'm getting off my SMK soapbox.

As for the 300wsm, I only chose that cartridge because it was a good choice for a short action to save weight over a long action for this ultralight build. And I already had all of the .30 caliber reloading components in stock, sans the brass. I have previously mainly shot .308, 30'06, 300wm & 300rum. The 300wsm is giving VERY similar results as the 300wm, minus about 100fps. And this caliber allowed me to shed another 6 ounces off of the ultralight build, so I decided if I was building an ultralight, it might as well be the lightest darn rifle possible.......and get the advantage of a short throw on a follow-up shot from the shorter action in a hunting situation. This is an ultralight build, and it is what it is, very light. There are better performing rifles out there, ballistically, but they also weigh much more.

My personal favorite is the 300rum, but my RUM weighs around 14 Lbs rigged. It is the rifle that I shot all of the elk over 500yds with; I love it, but man is it heavy to carry around at 11,000 ft.

I gotta stop typing and get back to reloading.......I'll give ya'll an update soon.

cheers,
Jordan