Find
Notify
Tools

30/06 Reform To 8x57 W/O Annealing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted
Do you have to anneal when reformong 30-06 to 8x57? I am using a form and trim die before the regular 8x57 resizing die. This seems to work very well with the LC69 ’06 brass but I am worried that not annealing could be a problem. In truth I would very much like to avoid annealing if possible.

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I form 30-06 cases to 8X57, I just lube the 06 case and put in 8X57 sizing die . Ofcourse trimming afterwards.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jocamp64:
Do you have to anneal when reformong 30-06 to 8x57? I am using a trim and die before the regular 8x57 resizing die. This seems to work very well with the LC69 ’06 brass but I am worried that not annealing could be a problem. In truth I would very much like to avoid annealing if possible.

You don;t have to anneal but your hard work will last longer if you do anneal. Annealing is easy, forming the case and cutting it off is the hard part.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIt is possible to avoid the annealing and not run into any problems. Back in the 50s I made a lot of 8mmx57 cases out of WWII 06 brass which had corrosive primers that were suppose to cause embrittlement and probably did.

I was young and dumb and knew nothing about annealing and got away with it. shocker

However not knowing the condition of that 40 year old brass you're useing I think SR4759's advice is sound and it wouldn't hurt you to get the experience and file it in your memory bank. Have fun beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Kennedy, I lube, shove them into the 8x57 full length sizer, then trim off the extra quarter-inch or so of neck. I've never needed to anneal, but then I shoot so little 8x57 that case life is not an issue. If I were to anneal, it would be after the initial resizing.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted Hide Post
The brass is unfired but de-primed. So I guess if the primers were corrosive they could have hardened the brass. Is it too late to anneal when I start getting split cases?

I really appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the experiences and lessons leaned from experienced reloaders.

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The corrosive priming only affects the brass after firing, so no problem there. Also those removed primers weren't corrosive anyway LC69. I still shoot 8x57 that is formed from mil 06 brass, mostly RA and WCC 54-55, they will last a lot longer if you anneal the necks. I have no form dies, just 8mm FL sizer and trim.