New
Find
Notify
Tools

large press?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell what the largest single stage press you can buy? Also which of the large press can you reloading 8-bore and 4-bore cartridge on without alot of modications?And last is there any sites that deal with buying good used presses?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the RCBS press sold for .50 BMG? Although no doubt Hornady do similar. You would need to view the makers websites for the exact dimension space above the shellholder to the top plate.

I think that for a 4 Bore you would not be able to accomodate it in the size hole that exists!

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one from Corbin is about the biggest one I've ever seen.

http://www.corbins.com/pr-csp2.htm

Smiler

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Those Corbins are pretty big. shocker

Dillon sells one for .50BMG that's a monster, for $1000.

I also saw a web site where someone in Texas or Arizona sells a monster-sized progressive for around $1500.

I am guessing that any 'O' or 'H' press that handles 1.5x12 dies will handle elephant gun rounds. This is the forum to ask that question in.

As for used press reloading sites, it's called Ebay.

Any of the old Hollywoods that had a tie bar (late model Senior, Senior Turret, and Universal Super Turret w/ the 2-tie rods) can handle 1.5x12 dies and load BIG rounds. Dave Davidson of CH4D sells the dies and can offer press suggestions.

CH4D's site

Late model Senior (not mine)

Senior Turret (also not mine)

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Old Western Scrounger" used to sell a massive press. I don't know if they still do (or even if they are still in business). Try an internet search.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
RD: That's the company I was thinking of. Their site was active a couple months ago.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest one I know of is the RCBS Big Max. It was made in the 80's. It weighs 23 pounds and was big enough for 50 BMG and swaging. I happen to have one that I swage 223 cases n to make a wildcat 9 MM pistol round.

It truly is a monster. shocker

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pretty big one:

Ponsness/Warren 50BMG press

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
RCBS & Hornady make the sme press, designed to reload the 50BMG. I woul dthink it could handle an 8bore, maybe not a 4bore though.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote