Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler PT in 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey,
have posted a thread at the european hunting forum on this board (http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=826436&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1)
where i wrote and asked something about the combination of the 165grs Nolser Pt in a .30-06 and the use on mid size game.
But maybe you folks can also tell me something about, so i would be very glad if some of you may take a look in the thread and give me some of your experiences.
Thanks in advance
Konst

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So forget my last post! But seriously you sound like you need the Nosler 150 gr BT in your rifle instead of the 165 Nosler PT (we just call them Partitions). The PT are bullets designed for total penetration after the point expands somewhat. To get fast kill on medium game it might be better to get a lighter bullet. The 165 Nosler PT will kill just about anything but its a bullet ment to break shoulders on game. For shooting the lungs a more expanding bullet might give a slightly faster kill but with more meat damage. I would stick with your PT load and aim for the shoulders next time. FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
@fnmauser, hey man you are absoluetely rigt concerning your shoulder breaking theorie vs. taking a more fragile bullet for heart/lung shots.
The thing is that i was guest at my friend and i don�t wont to "produce" a lot meat damage on the calve while shooting through the bones,because the point is, that the trader who buys the venisson from my friend might get a percentage down on the price due to "bad shot" that destroys too much meat.
Me for my part , i prefer "shouldershots", but as a guest i don�t won�t to get a "bad reputation" for a "bad shot".Know what i mean? Maybe hard to understand for you, but that�s how it goes overhere.
And because wildboars (although not so heavy by weight) do have a thick skin, mostly a lot of grease under the skin plus heavy bones i chose the Partition , to get an exit wound.
I know that the BT is very popular in the states and for thin skinned game, but it could be a pain in the... if u have to track a boar at night.
And maybe it�s a question of believe ...one group like soft and fast bullets other group heavier and slower bullets with higher penetration.
BTW what do u mean with: " PT in 30-06 are a liottle bit overkill"?

P.S: Have attached 2 Pic�s on the thread at the European Hunting Forum

by for now
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the person ment to say "Nosler BT" instead of "PT". The BT stands for Ballistic Tip, a hard plastic tip in the nose of a hollow point bullet to give it better long range ballistics. I've shot the 150 gr Nosler BT bullet out of a 30/06 and its drops our 150 whitetail deer in their tracks. I would think a 165 gr BT out of a 30/06 would be a fine load for any Euro game such as Red Deer. The Nosler BT bullets have a reputation of being a VERY accurate hunting bullet. Maybe not for moose or bear but I've read of people haveing good luck with moose with the BT bullets. No moose here in Kentucky for me to do a test for you FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the 165 NPT in my '06 for several years. The NPT may be overkill at '06 velocities, but it sure doesn't hurt. Declining game populations in Idaho have not allowed me to test the bullet as often as I would like, but here's the score so far:

spike elk, chest cavity, dropped after 50 feet, bullet exited.

small mule deer, ditto.

small black bear, quartering away, 2 shots same place, entered rear ham and exited opposite shoulder, apparently bullet hit tree branch and pushed branch into bear because I found pieces of the branch inside, blew a fist sized hole all the way through bear, bullets exited. Bear dropped at 1st shot but was still kicking, 2nd shot was insurance. Too much meat damage, but that may have been due to the branch and the 2nd shot in the ham.

2 coyotes, chest cavity, they took maybe 2 steps.

In other words, the NPT works as advertised at 30-06 velocities.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray here, I swear by the Partition and never considered another hunting bullet since I started loading them. We have an old M70 here in .30-06 that'll put 3 180gr. Partitions into 3/4" without even trying, and cracks an easy 2750fps on the chrony. Never bothered to load any other bullet or weight, we hunt where big black bears roam free and the deer pack some nice heft, the Partiton in a 180gr. is the way to go. Performance is spectacular.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote