Find
Notify
Tools

Re: custom FL sizing die
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted
Believe it or not Hornady did a helluva job for me recently. I also had Forster alter a die for the same cartridge as I did with Redding for a bushing die. I know both Redding and Hornady make custom dies as a matter of course. Neil Jones does too but they are quite pricey, about $175.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, thanks. A smith also informed me today that the inline tubes from the redding comp neck sizer die can be reamed with the same reamer the barrel is chambered with (on a custom job of course) as well as an inline tube from a redding or forster seaters. Not a bad idea! Of course you have to start out with a die that has a smaller casing with the same size overall die and one that will accept the proper bushings. Run-out limited! I will get a hold of the company you mention though since they could build the FL die.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try CH-4D:

http://www.ch4d.com/

Quote from their website (prices and ordering instructions):

"Calibers Not Listed : 4-D dies are available in any caliber. If you don�t see the caliber listed, send 2 fired case, a chamber cast, or a chamber drawing. We will then assign a group price and inform you of any additional tooling charges. Please allow 8-12 weeks for delivery on grp. A-K. Grp. L-Y may take longer. "

Posts: 77 | Location: W. Branch MI USA | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen30,
I have custom dies made for all my rifles, seater dies and body dies. I have used several custom die makers and they are all good. Probably the best, (fastest, cheapest, best quality) is JLC Precision (Jim Carstensen) in Bellevue, Iowa. If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you a phone #. The best way to go is: have a body die made to size the body about .001 at the junction of the shoulder and body and the same at the head. Now, in order to get that amount of sizing, the die needs to be .0025 smaller at the shoulder and about .003 at the head. Jim Carstensen can make it or he can take an existing die ( best way to go) and either polish it out or he can shrink it with heat. He has done both for me and he does quality work.Talk with him. He knows what to do! For a seater die, the Wilson straight line seater die is hard to beat. You can use the original reamer to cut a blank die that you can get from either Wilson or Sinclair International. Sinclair is the cheapest way to go... For a seater die, the very best thing to do, and what I have done is, have a seperate reamer made that is .0005 larger that the sized case in the body area and .0001 in the neck area. This really assures very straight and concentric cartridges and believe me, it makes a big difference in groups. David Kiff with Pacific Precision Grinding, Inc., in White City, Oregon does all my reamers and he is the very best in my opinion. If you are interested in precision dies that will last a lifetime and give you exceptional performance in producing the most accurate ammunition you can make, custom dies and reamers from the individuals mentioned above is your best option and I speak from years of experience.....

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this has been brought up before but I could not find the thread. I have been told by a couple people that there are die makers that will custom build a FL sizing die based on your chamber dimensions. They state you can send in a fired case and they can build a die that will size your brass barely under the fireformed dimensions (say .001" smaller diameter in the body as compared to fire-formed). This would be for a 6.5-284.

Called forster and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote