THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Problem occured after firing first shot with new rifle

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem occured after firing first shot with new rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got my recently acquired .22-250 this wednesday , and went out to the range this morning to try some handloads. This is a custom built rifle that I have done myself. The headspace was done by a very good gunsmith , and the proofing by the SABS (South African Bureau of Standards) . The rifle is built on a Mauser98 action . After firing the first shot with the rifle , the bolt now has diffuculty closing & opening [Confused] . I thought it might be the bolt , but tried several other bolts in the rifle with the same effect. The reloads were published book minimun for 55gr bullets, I was using 45 gr bullets , which should have less pressure in anyways . Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 's a hard one to crack, when you don't have the gun to check out.
I assume the bolt action does not give you any trouble when no cartridge is chambered or fired..??
And I assume you have measured the correct headspace for your chamber yourself..??
If you have done that then I would check the neck diameter in the chamber. If the neck is too narrow the bullet can't get out of the neck easily and pressure rises dramatically. The bolt can be reluctant on opening because the neck of the cartridge is sitting tight in the chamber.
My best shot at your problem [Smile]
Good Luck. Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I might havel left out some detail concerning the actual tightness of the bolt. The bolt requires quite some force when opening or closing ,,,, this is with an empty chamber . So the problem is not with the reloads .

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rudie:
Sorry I might havel left out some detail concerning the actual tightness of the bolt. The bolt requires quite some force when opening or closing ,,,, this is with an empty chamber . So the problem is not with the reloads .

Regards
Rudie

Take the bolt out of the rifle, and check how hard it is to turn the extractor. It may very well be that the extractor collar is binding a bit. In my experience, I have found it to be a common problem when the collar has been removed.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never use any bolt in a rifle except one it has been headspaced with.Trying other bolts in a rifle is an invitation for disaster unless the headspace has been checked with each bolt.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Rudi: just to add.. also blacken the face of the extractor and see if it is contacting the barrel.
dis-assemble the bolt check the speed lock. apply a light oil.. also make sure the inside of the bolt sleve is clean. sometimes it catches all the fileings and dirt. front recoil lugs clean and lightly grease.
another thing is the bolt handle root. there should be as light movement between the the bolt and the cam on the rear of the receiver with the bolt in the fired position.
make sure the rear action screw is not hanging on tto the speed lock when you close the bolt.
hope this helps
Dave

[ 07-28-2002, 18:04: Message edited by: HIVELOSITY ]

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did blacken the bolt with a candle this morning , and found the problem . Now the question is how do I fix it. With the bolt blackened , there is not contact between the extractor & the barrel , but there seems to be quite some contact just behind the two front locking lugs . no it is not on the lug itself but on the bolt , there is also two bright rings on the action , one at the very top of the feed ramp where the bolt makes contact , and also right on top of the action vertical to the first one.I hope this info helps.... Now the question is how do I fix this . Should I rather take it to the smith who done the work & have him check the headspace , or could something else be done about this , like polishing the bolt in this place [Confused]

Regards
Rudie

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Rudi, are there any marks or dents on the outer receiver ring that could have been made when the barrel was removed or installed. It is possible
that the ring could have been collapsed if there was an excessive amount of pressure on the receiver ring.
I had one on a M48 it did not hurt the receiver but I had to clean up just behind the locking lug recesses and the ramp had to be cleaned up on the upper most end toward the chamber.
if the smith or you laped the lugs there could be burs
Dave
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the shiny spots on the unwilling case/bullet should reveal the problem. i think there is a cartridge-length-problem that wants to be trimmed.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like you may as well cut to the chase and take the thing to a gunsmith and get it over with. I'm not sure I understand your problem from the description, but it's an odd one and potentially dangerous. Get professional help.

You did not mention of there were any signs of pressure on the fired case as I recall??

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the bolt worked easily prior to firing and became difficult only after the shot was fired then my guess would be that the locking lug seats upset because they were too soft or did not fit the bolt well or both. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick check before you get too carried away, loosen the guard screws or remove action from the stock and check the bolt operation. Any chance you are getting some action bending from the bedding? Just a thought.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote