New
Find
Notify
Tools

lost river ballistics J36 hunting bullet
 Login/Join

<Greg Y>
posted
Anyone have anything to share on these high ballistic coefficient hunting bullets??

<Al Smith>
posted
My friend and I have been using them almost exclusively for over two years now. They are a little spendy, but they are super accurate and they hold together very well even at high velocities (we both used them in our .30-378 Wby. Mags.) None of our animals required a second shot.

Plus the high B.C. is also a plus.

Al

<Greg Y>
posted
Al. I am thinking of these for my 300 Weath Mag. What game animals have you shot with these and how long did it take to work up the "right recipe"? Don't want to have to "bang"($'s) too many of these.Thanks.GREG

<Al Smith>
posted
Greg,

I've only shot whitetails and a mule deer, but my friend shot an elk plus a few mule deer with them.

Before I worked up loads, I e-mailed Warren at Lost River Ballistic and he gave me some starting loads that got me in the "ball park". Then it was just a matter of doing some "tweaking" with seating depth. I'm 100% sure that this is the most accurate hunting bullet that I've used. I'm having a a 300 Ultra built right now and have already ordered a few boxes of 180 gr. J36's to use in this gun.

Al

<Frank>
posted
I have used the 140grn Lost river bullet in my 280AI even had the gunsmith throat them for this rifle. They are the flattest, most accurate bullet I have fired. I shot a mule deer at 380 yards frontal shot the deer stood up so I put one through his lungs down he went 1000 feet. When I got to him he was still breathing. Dressing him out we noticed the first shot penetrated the full length of the deer exited by the tail. To me it seems the bullet did not expand. Maybe I dont have enough velocity for these bullets. I E-mailed LRT about this, never got a response. But one kill may not be a proper test, so I may try them again.

<Metoo>
posted
Has anyone used them in a 416 rigby?

<Greg Y>
posted
GUYS. Sounds like excellent reports on the accuracy aspect of these bullets. I sure would like to hear more on the performance end on game animals. Thanks. GREG

<Tigar>
posted
Greg,

I checked in on this thread to see what the feedback was, because it would be sweet if a bullet with such a high BC performed well. I have not personally used them so I would normally not add to the thread, but since it looks like you are looking for some answers and not getting much feedback I thought I'd pass on some hearsay (better than nothing).

First, I asked the gunsmith that built my custom 300 about them (he does a lot of long-range shooting and specializes in building for people who do - so his opinion carries some weight with me). He and several friends had shot them and said they were "junk" and to stay away. He said they fouled barrels so badly you could only get a few shots through before significant cleaning was needed. No one else here seems to have mentioned that, so who knows.

Secondly, here is an interesting article that has been referred to here and other places a few times. I don't know how credible the guy is and don't share all his preferences, but he had a picture of one of these from a test he did. Didn't look like the bullet I wanted to use for a shot at a once-in-a-lifetime elk - fearing performance like Frank got (no expansion). http://ulfhere.freeyellow.com/ballistics/methods.html#medium_bore (picture is a little over halfway down the page).

Hopefully a dozen or more guys like Al will write in and praise their performance on game. Until then, I figure Elk and Muley seasons and shots are too few and far between to mess with something that may be marginal.

Like I said - hearsay, but still the reason I'm not hunting with them. High BC is cool, but it certainly isn't everything either especially under 600 yards or so (<400 who cares) - so I'd rather use an accurate but proven bullet and deal with an extra inch or two of drop/wind drift.

<Greg Y>
posted
Tigar. Thanks for your response. I have had limited feedback on these, especially around the Houston area where I live. I can say the few responses were mostly positive in regards to performance on game animals. As you stated in your response though, opportunities at GOOD muleys and bull elk are too few and far between, to not be 110% prepared when the opportunity presents itself. I have had good luck with Nosler partitions on elk, muley, and big whitetails. Their accuracy potential is sufficient for me in hunting applications and their performance has been good. I have had good performance the last 2 years on antelope with Nosler Bal Tips too!! The J36 sounds like it would be great, if it will expand properly. GREG

<gj>
posted
SNAKE OIL!!!!!!!
A friend of mine and I shot one into wet newpaper media from his 300 win mag, to see if they would exspand like they were advertised he is a real believer in them. Well he was quite (embearassed) when we recoverd it.
I told him we could load that same bullet and try it again!It had absolutly no, not, nill exspansion other than the tip comming off and the cheapo rem bullet exspanded very well. His load of the lost river bullet was a little over 200 fps faster across the chrono.

Im not impressed unless I wanted an FMJ bullet.
Now I admit accuracy could be another story but he didnt want to waste any more of these preshless bullets to find out! gj.

PS. we live about 60mi. from there factory.

------------------
www.moaammo.com

[This message has been edited by gj (edited 03-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by gj (edited 03-10-2002).]

<ppro>
posted
GJ

Have you guys tried the GS custom bullets?

I live just south of you and was wondering about the lost river bullets.

I didn't order any for the reason that I didn't like his shipping and handling costs to ship his bullets 60 miles away. I called him and told him he was gouging people with the shipping and handling costs and that maby I would try them some day, if I happend to drive by his shop.

Hell, you can pretty much ship the GS custom bullets here from Pretoria South Africa for what you pay for the lost river bullets let alone their shipping and handling.

guess I am getting old and grumpy huh? >

Paul

<Chuck66>
posted
Greg,

I to am very interested in the Lost River bullets but not for big game. I want to use them to kill P-Dogs at great distance of course. There BC's are outstanding but at what cost? I wonder what there sectional density is? Dont remember that being listed on thier website.

Good Luck
Chuck