New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 contender
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine at work just asked me about reload data for T/C contender in 45/70 for 300gr cast bullets with a fourteen inch barrel. I have no experience with the contender, so I thought I would pose the question here. any info would be appreciated, thanks

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
Use the Trapdoor Springfield data in the manuals (also Hornady particularly has Contender data) and don't try any classic pressure guessing. The T/C Contender is not that strong in the lockup (compare with a double rifle or any break action) and doesn't want to be stressed as badly as you can do it with such a beast using some loads. Pressure signs are non-existant or deceptive. You'll find the book loads to be amply robust!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Harald's comments. If you stay within Trapdoor load limits, you'll never stretch the frame, and still have plenty of punch. Hornady is the only source I know of data specifically for the Contender. Theirs falls someplace between the Trapdoor and 1895 data, but decidedly closer to the Trapdoor. I've got a 12" Contender barrel in .45-70, and my favorite load at the moment is a 520 grain LRN at about 1100 fps.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 47th has Contender 45-70 loads also

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Cannon -
A 45-70 in a 12" Contender. I'm sitting here trying to imagine what it must be like to shoot that beast. 520 grain at 1100 FPS. Your wrist must be as big as my leg.
Whew!!
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-WEST,

Between the Pachmayr grip, and the T/C muzzle brake, the recoil isn't too bad. Don't get me wrong, this generates a lot of recoil, but for lack of a better word, it's not nearly as "sharp" as some handguns I've shot. Definitely easier on my wrist than my 14" 445 SuperMag. I haven't done much work with it yet, but should be able to push 300 grain slugs to at least 1800, maybe a little more.

I think the need for bigger and bigger handguns is a sickness I caught it when I started shooting Dad's Super Blackhawk somewhere around age 5. Now, in addition to the two mentioned above, I've got a Blackhawk in 45 Colt, and a pair of SRH's in 44 Mag and 480 Ruger.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Cannon & 375hnh You can load the 45/70 up 28000 psi You can push a 300gr JHP at over 1900fps out of a 12" BBL. But here is my last posting for the 45/70.If you would like to Opinions your 45/70. First if you are going to shot 500gr bullet you should send your barrel SSK to get the chamber open up so you can set the 500gr bullet out all the way this will help on recoil. Then you should counter bore your scope base holes about 1/32" so you can get all 5 threads in the holes in the barrel and use red lock nut under the base to hold it to the barrel. You need to have a Brake on your barrel and for add weight use rubber grip and forend. I have used the 45/70 for 10 years. The recoil of this gun pulled one scope off the barrel putting a nice cut in my head. This is why you counter bore and add red lock nut under the base. I use a Decade recoil glove with this gun. Now for the light bullets 300gr the loads I Powder is IMR 4227 and Vihtavuori oy N133
LOAD 1
Powder IMR 4227 40.8gr
Primer CCI BR2
Bullet Remington 300gr HP
Case Winchester
OAL 2.52
VEL 12BBL 1966fps

Load 2
Powder N-133 63.2gr
Primer CCI BR2
Bullet Remington 300gr HP
Case Winchester
OAL 2.52
VEL 12BBL 1995fps 14BBL 2027fps

Load 3
Powder N-133 63.2gr
Primer CCI BR2
Bullet Barnes 300gr SSP
Case Winchester
OAL 2.65
VEL 12BBL 1997fps 14BBL 2025fps

Load 4
Powder N-133 63.2gr
Primer CCI BR2
Bullet Barnes 300gr X bullet
Case Winchester
OAL 2.8
VEL 12BBL 2010fps 14BBL 2034fps

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Thanks for the loads -- I've filed them away for future reference. I've got the factory 12" Hunter barrel and the 500 grain bullets I'm using right now chamber fine without having to seat them too deeply. You're definitely right about the Pachmayr stocks adding weight -- they make a significant difference. I don't have this one scoped, but did manage to shoot it enough to loosen up the grip screw on one occasion. That could have been really unpleasant

Thanks for pointing out that the 28000 psi loads are safe. That's what I was referring to when I posted above, but it's worth pointing out that while some books list 28000 psi max loads in the Trapdoor section, others are considerably more conservative. I haven't done much handloading for mine, but I did try some 400 grain X bullets; I couldn't push them fast enough to open up.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
PAUL-You sound like you have alot more experience than me but, EGADS those loads seem awful hot. I'm having a real hard time with that much velocity on a 12" barrel being under 28,000 psi. On the other hand how can that little 12" barrel burn 63 grains of powder--maybe max pressure isn't even reached in a barrel that size. OH well-I think I'm too much of a wimp to want to get my contender up to those speeds anyhow.

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
If you want to try X bullets, try the 300 gr. They move out of my 15" barrel at 1890 fps with a near max. load of 53.5 gr. H322. They do not fall below the minimum needed velocity for expansion (1600 fps) until 175 yards, but shoot relatively flat out to 200. Absolutely murder on deer from 90 to 200 pounds with shoot-through guaranteed from any angle.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375hnh,I have had pretty good results with Reloader #7 and H 322.I'm at work right now but can post some info later if you are interested.Or you can e mail me.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote