Notify
Tools

44mag/44sp dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a 44 mag , need to get some dies

Redding offers 44mag, and 44sp, and 44mag/44sp dies

Im thinking just get the 44mag/44sp dies in case I get a 44sp later, But wonder what exactly is different about these 3 different die sets. Id think the 44sp and the 44mag/44sp set would be the same thing and the 44 mag just longer, why a seperate 44sp "only" set

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my buddy had a set of 44mag/spc rcbs dies. iirc he said there was a spacer used to load the shorter 44spc or remove it and load the mags. i would imagine that is the same case with the reddings you can get them for each on individually or get the set that includes a spacer and do both.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
44spl/44mag set will include a .125"ish shim/spacer.
With spacer installed under die lock ring,dies will be set up to run the LONGER 44mag cases.
With out spacer installed under die lock ring,run the 44special cases.

The same spacer is included in the 40S&W/10mm auto & 38spl/357mag die sets.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alot of people don't like LEE dies. But I have been using them since 1987 for my Ruger SBH 7 1/2". I load for 44SPL and Mag loads from everything from 8.0 grns of Unique w/ 240grn bullets to 19.5 grns H110 w/ 300grn Castcore WFNGC's. Ain't had a problem yet. I use their carbide dies. There're cheap to. Try what u think is best for you. Only my 2 cents worth. I have since 1987. Ain't nothing better than rollin' your own. Also you can load a hell of alot cheaper and better than what they charge you for 'factory' loads. Besides it's fun!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Depends on who makes them. Lee and Hornady do not come with a spacer ring, or did not when I bought .38/.357 Mag. They just have you reset the lock ring. I have seen the spacers in various catalogs.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im thinking just get the 44mag/44sp dies in case I get a 44sp later, But wonder what exactly is different about these 3 different die sets. Id think the 44sp and the 44mag/44sp set would be the same thing and the 44 mag just longer, why a seperate 44sp "only" set

With my old 44 Magnum dies you can resize, decap, mouth flare, and seat a bullet in a 44 Special. The only thing the die can’t do is crimp a 44 Special. The crimp ring is just a little too deep.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MikeinColo

Im gonna order that RCBS die set, Is the bullet seater die a crimper die all in one like reddings?

Is that an extra different style bullet seater stem that comes with it?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
MikeinColo

Im gonna order that RCBS die set, Is the bullet seater die a crimper die all in one like reddings?

Is that an extra different style bullet seater stem that comes with it?

Thanks

Yes, bullet seating and crimping are all in one stroke.

It comes with 2 seating rams, RN and SWC. The SWC works will with SWC and most jacketed bullet designs but not so will on round nose lead bullets like the one below. It cuts a ring in them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 My .45 colt redding seater ram does the same thing on round nose, redding die set didnt come with two seater rams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I solved the ring problem, partly, with valve grinding paste. The sort used when putting new overhead valves in a car's cylinder head.

I just coated a bullet's nose with the paste and put the seater die in a drill and offered the bullet up to it.

It might take a few bullets - and patience - but it will make some difference.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally there were just 44 Magnum die sets and 44 Special die sets.

But there were folks who wanted to load BOTH for the same revolver. I used to load for my S & W Model 29 a load of 4.5 Red Dot under an RCBS mould 255 Keith type cast lead bullet as a "plinking" load.

Now the problem with the 44 Magnum is it is longer than the 44 Special - as you know. So whilst you could re-size with steel or carbide dies and even neck expand and seat a bullet you could never crimp it in a 44 Special case with a 44 Magnum crimp dies.

So knowledgeable folk bought a 44 Special die set and when they wanted to crimp 44 Magnum backed the crimp die out of the press a few turns. And adjusted the neck expander ball and bullet seater plug accordingly.

Later as another has said RCBS made their spacer ring. Personally I don't really like it and used to re-adjust the dies if I changed from Special to Magnum length cases.

Eventually the die makers started to label what had previously just been labelled "44 Special" with the label "44 Special/44 Magtnum".

But essentially all you were getting was 44 Special dies with a different label! That you backed the crimp die back a few turns when you wanted to crimp bullets is Magnum length cases.

Oh, and of course, also accordingly adjusted the neck expander ball and bullet seater stem.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I should have said this earlier but the round nose seater doesn’t put a mark on the bullet shown above. It’s pretty nice having both styles of seaters.