Find
Notify
Tools

VIHTAVUORI POWDERS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
On another forum post there was a poll about favorite powder and in answering that I realized that I use just about everything except Vihtavuori powders. I think the reason I don't use any is because, around here anyway, it cost significantly more than other powders suggested for the same purpose.

Also, it seems that my "go to" powders are Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant. I'll almost always look to see if one of those is recommended for the task at hand before looking for other powder recommendations.

I'm wondering, though, if I'm really missing the mark somewhere by not using Vihtavuori? Is there some application where a Vihtavuori powder really outshines most other powders?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:
On another forum post there was a poll about favorite powder and in answering that I realized that I use just about everything except Vihtavuori powders. I think the reason I don't use any is because, around here anyway, it cost significantly more than other powders suggested for the same purpose.

Also, it seems that my "go to" powders are Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant. I'll almost always look to see if one of those is recommended for the task at hand before looking for other powder recommendations.

I'm wondering, though, if I'm really missing the mark somewhere by not using Vihtavuori? Is there some application where a Vihtavuori powder really outshines most other powders?

If you don't try you would not know. Vihtavuori has excellent powders with excellent results!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red C, the price is not the only drawback. Up until recently, the minimum size container was 2 pounds. That was quite an investment on a hunch that it might perform better. Also, very few local dealers stocked it.

But over the years, every time I sent in a powder order to Graf's, I'd add 1 container of VV. So far N133 and N550 have been used for rifle loads and N320 and N340 for pistols. They burn clean, are consistent, and meter easily. However, if they went off the market I could do without them just fine.

About the only line that I think are not duplicated by other brands is the High Energy line; N530-N570.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love their extruded pistol powders, mostly shoot 310 in .45 bullseye guns. It burns very clean, consistent velocity, and meters well in a Dillon measure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my area its the cheepest powder.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For years I used Norma powder. When it became hard to get I tried a couple cans of VV. I found it a good powder. However I just didn't feel the price was justified.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I guess because I am a tinker oriented reloader I have tried many of the VV powders, they have all except the second lot of VV 165 I have gotten given exceptional results as to clean burning, velocity and accuracy.

My 6 PPC loves the VV 130 or VV 133
I have an AR which thrives on 69 SMK's and VV 133, another that loves the VV540 with 77 grain bullets.

Currently I am trying the IMR 8208 XBR and don't think it can hold a candle to the VV 133 or VV 135 which it is close in burning rate to.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have used VV N160 for years in my 6.5X55, 280 Ackley Imp and now in my 7mm08.

I tried the VVN560 in the 280 Ackley it was just magic! Nosler Accubond 160gr at almost 3000 fps with good accuracy & safe pressures - spot on as per Nosler manual!

Very clean burning powders with low variation in velocity from shot to shot.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love VV140 for 7mm cast bullet shooting in my pistols. Haven't found another powder that gives me the same accuracy although 4198 is a distant second.

ihmsakiwi

Posts: 41 | Location: new zealand | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get some excellent accuracy with 133 in my 223's. Good stuff.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The fastest velocity I've ever gotten out of my 300 WM came from VV N160.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Great Britain it is the absolute powder of choice (41.5 grains N140) for duplicating factory ballistics with the 174 grain FMJ Mk VII bullet in 303 British calibre.

It does exactly what it says on the sight settings of the SMLE or No4...and that really is very much desired when you may be shooting at 300, 500 and 600 yards in the morning and maybe 1,000 yards in the afternoon with the same rifle and same reloads.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've put a lot of time into trying the powders all that much simply bc I get such great results with Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant. I've got 160, 165, and 560 on the shelf. I primarily use them for break in loads simply bc my experience is that they are by far, the cleanest burning powders on the market.

I will not buy anymore once I've finished with what I have, and at the rate I'm going, they'll be on the shelf another 20 years.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

<slancey>
posted
N160 gave me not only the highest velocity with no pressure signs in the 25-06 with a 75 grain Hornady V-Max, but also the most accurate load I've ever shot consistently in a sporter weight rifle. I'll admit I bought it for the 30-06 and didn't get much satisfaction, same with the 270. I loaded up the 25-06 rounds just to burn up some powder. It averages 1" at 200 yards. Like others have reported, it's also a very clean-burning powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Red,

Since Hogdgon have taken over distribution of IMR & W-W powders; all of these wares have become easier to obtain and the logistics chain more dependable here in Europe.

It used to be that for years & months IMR, & Hogdgon powders were simply unavailable.

VV Powders were & remain ALWAYS avaialable so for the most part I've had to put some of my favorite IMR & Hogdgon loads on the back burner & develop VV loads.

Having said all that the VV's are nothing to sneeze at; clean buring, and dependably consistant; although the 1 Kg cans are twice as expensive (+) as 1 lb cans - stands to reason.

VV powders are some of the most consistantly accurate I've ever tried and are my Go-To powders in several chamberings as mentioned by many folks above, too .....

VVN-130 & VVN-133 respectively in .222 & .223 Remingtons. Simply impressive.

VVN-140 in the 9.3x62 (RL-15 is the Stateside hands-down choice).

VVN-150 in 8x57IS

VVN-160 w/165 grain bullets in the .30/06 Sprg. and almost ANY 110-120 gr. bullet in the 25-06 Remington. 79.5 grs. w/a 300 gr. Hornady Round Nose in the .375H&H Mag, will make you look twice at the target in an attempt to discern if there's more than one bullet hole in the target!

VVN-165 & VVN-560 in .300 Win Mag., 300 Weatherby Mag and 300 RUM - Wow!

I don't know that I'd throw all the superb loads generated with AA, RL, H & IMR powders out the window in the States just to be replaced by VV powders BUT some of the combos above would certainly justify the investment into a 1 Kg can.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there some application where a Vihtavuori powder really outshines most other powders?

Without knowledge of calibers you're loading that's an undetermined factor . One thing is certain it's of the utmost quality as is Lapua products !!!.

New World Record!
Saturday at the Oak Ridge (TN) IBS registered Benchrest match, John Lewis shot a spectacular 0.386" 5-shot group in Heavy Gun Class. When certified, this substantially lowers the existing record (currently held by Brady.) A 0.386" group at 600 yards is the equivalent of 0.0614 MOA. John shot the group with a wood and metal-stocked gun he built himself. It is chambered in .308 Win. John was shooting a Lapua 155gr bullet.

Vihtavuori Premium Smokeless Powder ( Is without a doubt some of the cleanest powder ever produced .

Vihtavuori Reloading Powders are known and respected as top grade products of consistent quality. Vihtavuori powders propel ammunition that earn Gold Medals in competition at the Olympics, World Cups and National Championships in countries around the world. If you depend on perfect performance in order to achieve results in competition or hunting then you can depend on Vihtavuori powders.

Vihtavuori has been manufacturing propellants in Finland for 80 years. Their complete product line of powders satisfies every need for ammunition, from .22 rimfire through largest artillery. All Vihtavuori powders are made using nitro-cellulose produced from cotton linters in their own NC plant.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
VV makes great powder, but it's expensive & can be hard to find locally. Is it twice as good as home grown, probably not, but we get to have choices here & serious rifle loaders should give them a try. Like VV160 in my 338x74K, very accurate & also shows well in my 338-06.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote