New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Bullets vs. New Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are newer bullets more accurate than older bullets? I know this sounds funny, but it's a curiosity I have as I try to find a good load for my 257 Weatherby. I'm presently trying to work up loads using 100gr Sierra Spitzers that were purchased around 1970. Have the manufacturing processes and tolerances these days gotten better, resulting in more accurate bullets? Should I buy more recently produced Sierras to get better accuracy out of this gun? Right now, I'm having a very hard time breaking the 1" barrier. Very inconsistent groups even though I floated the barrel and bedded the action. That's another discussion though...

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called sierra and asked them this same question. They old me their processing route has not changed and accuracy should be the same. I don't know if this is 100% true, but I wouldn't see why not. I buy old sierra bullets off e-bay for a good price occasionally.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the major bullet makers have stayed abreast of any enhancement via technology. A box of new Sierra bullets is only going to cost around $10 so why not give your idea a try. Sometimes a different lot of the same bullet will shoot better than another. Bench shooters find a bullet they like and then buy all of that lot they can afford.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked for Sierra in the late 60's in the machine shop. At that time their bullets were at the top of the heap for high power match shooting. I am sure the tooling has improved but you would probably need a benchrest rife to tell the difference.

Heck, I married one of the secretaries from the front office and after 36 years she doing just fine. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are newer bullets more accurate than older bullets?

Absolutely!!

It's time for you to move forward!! Send me all your "old" bullets (I could maybe be convinced to split shipping with you) so you can get this problem off your mind!

I'll give you my snail mail address if you want it so you can rid yourself of this curse of "old" (read "inaccurate")bullets.

Or, better yet, shoot them up in friendly competition.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I worked for Sierra in the late 60's in the machine shop. At that time their bullets were at the top of the heap for high power match shooting. I am sure the tooling has improved but you would probably need a benchrest rife to tell the difference.

Heck, I married one of the secretaries from the front office and after 36 years she doing just fine. Pedro

--------------
There is no diffrent's just diffrent design's/ ogive's/point's/nose's
As for the press's ...You and i know that you can use a 1959 press rethreaded and stick new DIE'S becouse it's the
Die's that hold the key to better bullet design..Not the press's
Better jacket's maybe yes and no more yes..
I started doing this in 64 got out of it in 82 and just now started again and aside from die design i see no diffrent's maybe a better choice in jacket's ..Softer

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jethro, Well, it looks like I disagree with most of the folks. From what I've seen first hand on the Targets and on Game since the `50's, everything has gotten better, and especially the Bullets.

However,that doesn't necessarily mean you have a bunch of "scrap" Bullets on hand. Perhaps your rifle just doesn't like that particular Bullet. It happens all the time that the Bullet "we" want to use just may not shoot well in a specific rifle.

And it could be something as simple as the weight. Maybe a 120gr would drive tacks. Or maybe the Powder you are using isn't one your rifle is going to shoot well. Maybe too many shots between "Bore Cleanings". Maybe it actually shoots better with a bit of tip pressure instead of free-floated. And on and on.

Not trying to frustrate you concerning the problem, cause it does look like you are putting a lot of effort into this rifle. I absolutely love the confidence that a sub-MOA rifle gives me, but at the same time, a rifle shooting close to 1" will kill a whole lot of Game cleanly, way out there.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, I tend to agree with you, but just wanted to get everyone's opinion. They all make good points, but I can't imagine that things haven't gotten any better in 30+ years.

As for the other things you bring up, I have tried some already. Powders so far used have been IMR4350, RL-22, and RL-25.

I've tried the Sierra 117gr bullets, but it seems the gun absolutely hates them. They'll go into a target I'm not even aiming at. Hence the focus on the 100gr bullets. I have some 100gr NPs that I'm gonna try next. I've been shying away from the BTs due to the velocities I'm pushing with this rifle.

I usually only shoot 9 rounds each trip to the range due to the barrel heating up so quickly. However, I pretty much clean it after each visit. That's definitely not the problem.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep plugging along and trying different things. I imagine this hobby would get pretty boring if every gun shot one hole groups and there were no problems that needed solved.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jethro, I had to take a family member to a Dr's appointment today and took along one of the old P.O. Ackley books with me. I'd finally managed to get off in a corner by myself and turn to the 257WbyMag data when an older fellow noticed the book and sat down beside me.

Since I was "obviously" reading, he decided to talk to me and got me sidetracked from thinking about your rifle. Had to think about it on the way home, without the book in my hands.

Here is what I'd do - call a few Custom Rifle makers and ask what they would try as far as a couple of good "Starting Loads" of Primers, Powders and Bullets. Ask about the "Floating Barrel" and have the "dimensions" of the barrel written down when you speak to them. If they have not personally built one, ask them if they know someone who has.

The reason " I'd " go this route is because they have to be able to make them shoot to make their customers happy. And I seem to remember people mentioning the 257WbyMag as being a bit "tricky" to get accurate. I've not had any 257WbyMags, so I'm only going by 2nd hand info.

That said, it seems like you are using Powders that should work well for you. I think I'm the only person alive that has had Pressure Problems with the "RL" Powders as you go up near the SAFE MAX. They just wouldn't work in my rifles and I gave them away.

If your rifle was mine, I'd probably try some H1000 and maybe some H4831. I'd for absolutely sure do some Benchmarking with either MatchKings or B-Tips just to see how well it will actually shoot. Then I'd go to work on the Hunting Loads.

Just thinking about my current 7mmRemMag. It will shoot some 140gr Partitions I have into "tighter" 2-shot groups(the 2nd shot tends to cut through the side of the 1st hole) than it will the 140gr B-Tips I tried in it. So the Benchmarking can be Full-of-beans on occasion too.

Are you concerned about the B-Tips coming apart? I've never seen one do it myself, but there is a Thread here somewhere that a guy mentioned he has had that problem with (maybe) a 30-378. I've seen 50gr TNTs do it in a 22-250, but Speer even tells you they will do that in the Manual. The rifle I saw it happen in had a bit of a rough Bore which may have contributed to the problem.

By the way, if I overlooked it, what kind of rifle do you have this in?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There is no diffrent's just diffrent design's/ ogive's/point's/nose's

So true. Case in point...Sierra bullets made decades ago from Santa Fe Springs, Calif. are NOT the same shape as those with the exact same part number made recently in Sedalia, Mo. The diameter is .257 but most of the rest has changed. I learned this the hard way with my 25-06. Some of the Speer designs have changed also.
And just so you don't feel pregnant, I've never had any luck with the Sierra #1630 117 grain bullet either. Maybe it's the boattail. Maybe it's my rifling twist rate.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your recommedations Hot Core. I haven't thought of calling those folks, but sure makes sense that they would know.

If these partitions don't shoot, I'll have to pick up one of the powders you mention. Don't have any on hand at the moment.

The reason I've been shying away from the Nosler BTs isn't because of them breaking apart in flight, but rather terminal performance. I'll be driving them around 3400-3500 fps and don't want to be concerned with hitting a front shoulder and not getting penetration. Also, meat damage. I just figured the Partitions would be better suited in both of these areas.

The rifle is a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe with either a #1 or #2 countour barrel of 24". I've had it since about 1988, but only recently started working with it due to past military obligations. It just gets frustrating at times, especially when you think about what you pay for a rifle like this. I hate to put more money into it by taking it to a smith, but once I have exhausted all of my capabilities, I'll have to do it.

Funny thing is, the Weatherby smith did some work to it. Recrowned the barrel, bedded a pad near the fore end, and put bedding in 2 places under the action. However, the bedding under the action didn't make any contact with the action itself. Only thing I can figure it was doing was reenforcing the stock in those areas. So, the barrel pad was built up with no corresponding build up of the receiver. This put a huge bind on the action when the action screws were tightened. I can't believe he let it leave the shop like this. However, the target he sent back was a perfect triangle measuring 0.450" using 115gr BT factory ammo. I can't see any way in hell that he got it to shoot that considering the bedding problems. Maybe he had it in another stock, I don't know. With his setup, I couldn't get anywhere near that accuracy. I know all bullets are different, but my 117gr and 100gr Sierras were spreading across 2 targets. I then ripped out his barrel pad and properly bedded the action to relieve all the stress. Although much better than before, my groups are still huge (1-3" depending on load) and somewhat inconsistent. I could probably bitch more to Weatherby, but I doubt anything will be done, especially since I already backed out everything their smith did. Besides, it took them 5 months to do that work. I would rather give it to someone that I know will fix it right next time.

You probably didn't need all that ranting, but I had to vent. I do feel better though .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... If these partitions don't shoot, I'll have to pick up one of the powders you mention.

I would have mentioned H870 as well, but since it is no longer being made, that would not be good for a long term fix. I've never tried the AA-8700 and it might do well.

Or perhaps some of the Surplus Powders with a Burn Rate similar to H1000. I've REALLY meant to try some of them and just haven't gotten around to it.

The real problem is you never know what a specific rifle will like until you try it.

Quote:

The reason I've been shying away from the Nosler BTs isn't because of them breaking apart in flight, but rather terminal performance. I'll be driving them around 3400-3500 fps and don't want to be concerned with hitting a front shoulder and not getting penetration. Also, meat damage. I just figured the Partitions would be better suited in both of these areas.

I hear you and agree with using Partitions in the Hunting Load at that speed. It seems there are some other Bullets that should work right well too, like the newest BarnesTSX and some of the newer Bonded Bullets. Sure is nice to have options if the Partitions just don't work for you.

Quote:

The rifle is a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe with either a #1 or #2 countour barrel of 24". ...It just gets frustrating at times, ...

Amen on the frustrating. I had one rifle that I worked with over 3 Summers and finally got it to shooting well enough to allow it to go Hunting. Some just seem to shoot anything well and others are a real challenge.

Quote:

Funny thing is, the Weatherby smith did some work to it. ...Although much better than before, my groups are still huge (1-3" depending on load) and somewhat inconsistent.

One quick thing you could try is a bit of forearm pressure against the barrel, just to see how it responds. Use a folded Business Card to get the Pressure.

Look at the front of the stock and see how much gap there is. Slide in a Business Card until it is barely snug even if it takes a couple of thicknesses. Then add another 3-4 layers and crank up the stock screws.

If it doesn't help, take it back out. Some of my rifles prefer a bit of forearm pressure and some don't. Just the way it is.

All that "non-normal bedding" you saw in the stock as you received it back from Weatherby is indeed strange. It would have me wondering what was going on too.

Quote:

...You probably didn't need all that ranting, but I had to vent. I do feel better though .

Not a problem. It does help when you know someone else has been through it before too.

Best of luck to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hotcore and Jethro, todays bullets on the whole are 100% better and that says a lot about most of our bullet makers...

I agree Sierra hasn't changed anything since dirt was invented and they are accurate bullets, but not to hot on game larger than deer IMO..Exception may or may not be the 250 and 300 gr 375 Sierra...I feel they have been left behind in the technology of hunting bullets.

Todays premium bullets like North Fork, woodleigh, Nosler and GS Customs shoot fantastic groups in most average hunting rifles..Not so yesteryear...Poor accuracy and bullet failures were a dime a dozen on game in the old days, and you seldom see failures anymore and accuracy is definatly better today..bonded cores, partitions, pressure rings, consistant thickness of jacket and the computer have brought bullets out of the dark ages...

Posts: 42033 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote