New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet seating depth ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any certain rule as to how much of the bullet base needs to be seated inside of the case neck? I have a 22-250 thats starting to show some throat wear and the bullets are getting out there. Thanks -- Larry B.

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that you should seat the bullet at least as deep as the bullet is wide, meaning its diameter. I think its probably better for the bullet to have to jump a bit than for the bullet to come out before there is sufficient pressure within the cartridge. Im new to this also so Im not positive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by Red Neck64

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Cut your load a few grains from MAX,then put the pill on the lands.Do not FLR.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is there any certain rule as to how much of the bullet base needs to be seated inside of the case neck?...

Hey Larry, You need it in the case far enough so you can't accidentally knock it loose during normal handling or when cycling it from the magazine into the chamber. It is impossible to pin-point an exact distance, but the old Rule-of-Thumb was "One Caliber Deep" as stinkers mentioned.

I have some of my Loads using light weight Bullets where the Bullet isn't very deep at all. I believe some 120gr Bullets in a 7mm-08 have only about 0.18" of the bullet inside the caseneck. They don't fall out and they cycle just fine.

If you can grip the bullet with your fingers and "twist it out" with little effort, it either needs the neck sized tighter or the Bullet Seated a bit deeper.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe there is a 'Minimum Required Seating Depth' to speak of.
However, optimal seating depth can become important when trying to improve your rifle's accuracy.
Stoney Point makes a great little tool for a little over $30 that tells you how deep to seat the bullet to where it barely kisses the lands of your rifling.
Also, because you actually chamber the bullet to your rifle, using the specific bullet you like, you are able to get a perfectly seated bullet to the best depth possible for your gun.
It really is the neatest little tool, and quick too.
If you have any questions on it, or if you want some more details, feel free to contact me by email:
ShopCartRacing@aol.com