Find
Notify
Tools

Good Ole' 700s.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Well, my 700P is doing alright for it's first year of shooting. I didn't get much of a chance to shoot it in the cooler part of spring last year but, I was able to get it to the range several times during the summer and it has really shown promise. I'm just beginning to test some more loads in it, going to try and get some 168s to shoot. So far the 190 MKs have been doing well:

I tried a few other bullets in it and it did ok but, I think the 190s are probably going to work out the best.

Also bought a Sendero in 300SAUM about Sept and I've only had it to the range twice. The first was a break-in and the second for some load development and it's already shot in the .3s, .4s, and .5s w/ a couple of loads. I think this Sendero is going to shoot as well or better than the 700P, it seems to diggest just about anything where the 700P is quite picky w/ some bullets.

I'm looking foward to the 264 Win Mag offering in the Sendero, I think it will be a fine rifle and cal.

Some people seem to think that Remington has quit producing a quality rifle. Well I guess I just got lucky w/ my last few Purchases from them. Don't think I'll quit buying Remingtons any time soon Wink.

Have A Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader: Congratulations on the great shooting Remington! Is it the 700 PSS (Police Sniper Special in 308 Winchester)?
My Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester really impresses me with its consistent accuracy ! I am really on a roll with it shooting Big Game (Mule Deer, Whitetails and Antelope).
My Sendero also has reliably kept its zero from year to year now over the last 4 seasons!
All that will be moot though as I recently "robbed" the big variable scope off of it to put on a new Varmint Rifle I "just had to have"! In other words the scope zero continuum is done for now as I have bought another scope to mount up on it for future use.
The Sendero in 264 Win. Mag will be a great high plains or Texas Hill Country type Rifle!
I can' wait for the new Remington catalog!
Long live "Big Green"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can' wait for the new Remington catalog!

Me too.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the 700P is a 300 Win Mag. I mounted a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 w/ Target turrets on it last summer and it's been a good scope thus far, I think it will hold up.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Reloader, Nice shooting indeed! Congratulations on a fine rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks HotCore.

I just though I'd let some folks know that factory rifles can shoot pretty nice groups.

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

I concur that select Remingtons can shoot. I have the 5R milspec 700 and it really impresses me how accuracte and consistant it it is. So far all I have tried in mine is 168 gr match ammo and Australian 147 military fodder. I expected good results with the match ammo, but the real suprise (to me ) was how well it works with the cheap ball ammo. If I do my part its 1 MOA ammo in that rifle, which thrills me at under a quarter a round. I was delighted the first day I took that rifle and ammo combo to the range.

The only fault I see with the rifle is the trigger is factory awful. Too much creap and heavy, and every time I have used the rifle I really have to fight the trigger to shoot good groups. I plan on changing that out this summer with a good target trigger to solve this. But my thoughts are the trigger is a cheap and easy fix.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
schromf,

Have you adjusted that awful trigger yet?

I usually get a nice 2.75 lb consistent pull on my Heavy barrel rigs and a nice 3-3.5 lb pull on my hunting rifles. The Factory Remington triggers are easy to adjust and the creep, over travel and spring tension can be made quite nice.

If you would like to know how to do this, just shoot me a pm and I'll be glad to walk you through it.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you adjusted that awful trigger yet?

No I haven't to be truthful. I am familair with stock Rem triggers and I just figured the easy day was to drop in a replacement. Yes I know I can fiddle with it but its still not going to make me happy. I am not upset about the trigger though, its a simple cheap fix to replace it and I knew and expected a bad factory trigger before I bought the rifle. I have been looking at a Shilen Match trigger, the only reason I haven't jumped in and straightened this out is the year my Milspec was produced they put J-locks on them, ( I saw this yeas production and they are dropped ) and I am going to replace it all at the same time, and truth is I am deep into a couple of other gun projects and the Remington that works well, except for a minor annoyance hit bottom of my priority list. I am also back on the road and not home and won't be for a couple of months so me and the rifle are seperated right now.

I would like the info on the trigger tweak though, I will be back home this summer working with that rifle some more. I am getting consistant 1/2 MOA with it right now if I pay close attention to the trigger, but I spend more time thinking about the trigger when I am shooting and I know I can tighten up groups a bit if I am not concentrating and not distracted by it.

I mentioned before I want to shoot a 1/2 MOA, 20 round box, serious goal for me and that rifle, I know both the rifle and I are capable, its just getting the time and the tweaks done. To me its a real challenge, it tests me, the rifle, and the scope, all three have to be in concert to get it done. I just got my 308 reloading stuff sorted out and I am going to shift from factory match loads to tailored for this rifle reloads. I think that coupled with trigger adjustments, will get me serously into the .4 MOA range and I hope even into the high three's is possible.

And yes I agree with you this factory rifle is the most accurate factory rifle I have ever bought, and it rivals some of my custom build rifles, it would take a lot of dollars in a custom rifle just to match it.

Reloader you should really try shooting that box routine next time your at the range with your Sendro. Its a serious challenge, making yourself do 20 shots in a row for score is no mean feat. I was aware of this for years, and got into shooting it seriuosly a couple of years ago, once I tried it I was hooked, line and sinker. My perspective on my rifle, the optics and my performance changed after the first bench session, I walked away knowing this is a challenge and I wasn't going to suceed in this without serious effort on my part.

And no I haven't meet the challenge yet, that 1/2 MOA string is a bithch, but this summer I am going to be working this hard.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my rem 700 PSS .300 RUM with some test loads done with 150 gr Nos bt's...............pressures where a bit high so I back off. Am now shooting the 200 gr Nos AB and they are darned accurate as well. I have a heavy barrelled rem 700 .243 as well and it shoots great. I like rem's for Varmint work !!

The .300 RUM PSS has a Leupold MK4 6.5-20 with mil dot reticle in Badger rings on a 20 moa Badger base. The only other thing it has is a canjar trigger added.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I know there is a lot of people that dislike remingtons for one reason or another, but I have had good luck with them. I have a 700pss in .308 and it shoots great. I have a few friends that have them in various calibers and they will all shoot.

Anyone have any experience with the LTR rifles?
How do they shoot compared to the standard pss?

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great shooting reloader,you 2 pc ,regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks jjmp.

This 700P just continues to surprise me. I took it out Saturday and despite the winds howling and the temps in the low 30s. I managed 4 more little groups w/ it in the 1/2 MOA and below range while I was trying a few different loads and a new lot of MKs. My groups had opened just alittle from last summer when I quit shooting this rifle so I bumped up .5 grains in the powder charge since the tempsa are so much cooler and she's back in action. I wish my local range was longer than 200. I have to drive 75 miles to be able to stretch them out on my family's place. There's another club only about 15 miles from the house that goes out to 440. I'll probably end up joining it before long, another 140 a year sunk into this great habit.

Thornell,

"The LTR"

I've only had the pleasure to shoot one, it was the 308 w/ a Mark4 10X mildot in Mark4 rings. I didn't care to much for the low powered scope as far as group shooting goes but, the owner had been getting groups in the .3s and.4s w/ 168 MKs. I'm pretty sure he was pushing them w/ R15. One thing I did notice was that it was definitely a single shot if you wanted to get to the lands as his reloads were much longer than the clip length which is one thing I can say I like about the long action 700P is that there is plenty of mag length to accomodate the long throat and still drop a couple in the clip if needed.

schromf,

I'll be sure to send you that info on the trigger adjust. It is quite simple. Like I said I take mine down to 2.75lbs on my bench shooting guns and 3-3.5 on my hunting rifles but, several of my friends take their target rifles down to 2lbs w/ the stock 700 trigger. They are quite nice once you remove the creep and lower the tension.

Have a Good One

Reloader

posted Hide Post
just getting into reloading but have been lurking around here awhile i have learned alot and would like to watch someone do some reloading before i role my own.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
longshot59,

I'm sure someone on here would love to show you the ropes. A location would be helpful.

Have a Good One

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloader your very welcome, that rifle needs that 440 yard range,she''s screamin i can do this thats 4 sure, sierra 190''s shot great out of my 308 also those 180 noslers show great progress also out of your rifle , that really is great shooting-shooting a magnum no less, bet''ya them 180 noslers stick pretty close to them seirra MK''s enjoy and please keep us posted, longshot59 welcome, read all you can, then get with like minded people, regards to you all jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
reloader

i live in minden la
thought you might be close around not sure
just want to be on the safe side of things
reading about doing it and watching some is alot different
thanks

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
i live in minden la

You've gotta be kidding!

I live in Minden, La too.

I'd love to have ya over and do some loading. Right now I've been traveling alot and running construction projects for the New Orleans situation but, once I get to settle back in around the house in a couple of weeks, I'd be glad to have ya over to do some loading. I make it out to the Bodcau Range almost every weekend during the spring and summer when Turkey season is not in.

Shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

Have a Good One

Reloader

posted Hide Post
reloader
i live out by canny lake on methodist camp loop
not sure now to pm on here yet
but i sure am glad to find someone close that can help me. just let me know when a good time
to get with you is.
i`ve been to bodcau a few times myself maybe i`ve seen you there
longshot59

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
For PM just click on the persons call name on there post in the left hand column. When the menu pops up click on send Private message and it'll be just like replying to a post.

When you recieve a PM it will be blinking on top of the screen close to the search feature.

To go to old PMs just click on go, my space, private messaging.

Piece of Cake

Have a Good One

Reloader

PM Sent

posted Hide Post
Reloader & Longshot 59,
Minden is my hometown (from many years ago) too. Graduated HS in '69, off to LSU and further. My dad ran the Exxon and later the Gulf stations on Homer Rd for many years.
Although I live in Southern Indiana now (and for the past several years), I always look for folks who list Louisiana as their location.
It's good to see my old stomping grounds pop-up. Take care.

Posts: 16 | Location: SouthCentral Indiana | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Wil,

Small World. It's pretty neat to see guys post on here that are from around here. I grew up over in West Monroe and spent most of my time around Marion and Farmerville while growing up. Went to College over a La Tech in Ruston. The wife and I moved over to Minden a few years ago and we've been enjoying the place ever since.

Speaking of your current state Indiana, I was working a job a few weeks back w/ the US Marshalls Service and ran into a fella from Indiana. We got to shootin' the breeze about deer huntin' and he plopped down a Buckmasters Calender that had a picture of the Indiana State Record Non-Typical buck. I looked at the name and sure enough it was him that took the buck. It was a neat story on how he got the bruiser. Pretty nice bucks up in that country.

Have a Good One

Reloader