New
Find
Notify
Tools

Similar powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear fellows! You all know, that it is sometimes difficult to get a certain brand of powder, which might be the best for a certain chambering. But we all know, that powders often are marketed under different labels.

Now we could use another brand powder, treat it like a new lot, start up, etc. but at least we would have a starting point and access to the "best" powder for the application at hand.

To the best of my knowledge Norma and RWS powders are made by BOFORS. RP are the rifle powders PK ( Pistol Kraut?? ) the pistol powders. Also I have heard Alliants Reloder series to be of Norma origin.

Now how does this fit together:

RWS: R 901, R 902, R 903, R904, R 905, R 906, R 907, R 910.

Bofors: RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5, RP 7, RP 13.

Norma: 200, 201, 202, 203B, 204, MRP, MRP2.

Alliant: Re 7, 12, 15, 19, 22, 25.

Re 25 = MRP 2??

Any knowledge out there?

Good Shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<martin f>
posted
Hermann,

I have a table from Quicklad comparing most available powders.
This week I am very much pressed for time, and would not like to type all this.
But I will gladly fax the table to you.

Regards, Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello aHunter.
In my Vihtavuori reloading manual there are a table comparing burning rates in most kurrent powders. Try to get hold of that one. I don't have it in front of me right now, but i like it a lot and use it all the time.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with the European powders, but in the Hodgdon line-up, many are derived from Olin military balls:

WC 844 = H335
WC 846 = BL-C2
WC 852 = H380
(There is also a WC 852 lot that is similar to H 414, so be extra careful with this one.)

Also, WW 748 is a canister grade of WC 846/BLC2 and WW 760 is a canister grade of H414.

There are always variations in powder burning characteristics, even with ball powders (though ususally not as much as with stick powders). As a consequence, ALWAYS treat non-canister powders, or other distributor's equivilants, as entirely different powders by starting descreetly lower and working up to the proper pressure/velocity area for your rifle.

Also, individual distributors (brand names) have different specicfications for thier powders, even if they may be based on the same powder from a given manufacturer. So just because Norma, for example, manufactures powder for itself and, let's say, BigBang Powder Co., that doesn't mean that the two companies' products based on the same powder will be identical.

USE CAUTION and GOOD SENSE. MAKE NO PRESUMPTIONS!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote