New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bullet Company
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hammer Bullets in Montana. Impressive mono bullet. Has anyone tried them for big game?

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Hammer Bullets in Montana. Impressive mono bullet. Has anyone tried them for big game?

I guess I'm missing something.

Their website gives no technical information about the bullets, just some buzzwords and marketing speak.

What qualifies them as "Impressive", pretty pictures?

What weight and dimensional tolerances are they holding?

Are the bullets sub caliber with driving bands?

There are nine different weight .375 bullets divided into three different names: Sledge Hammer, Hammer Hunter, Dead blow Hammer.

What are the design differences between them and what are they based on?

Maybe I'm harder to impress, but I need more information than what they are providing on their website to bother trying them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree Frank. It's hard to beat my 270 + 300 G. in Fail safe in my 375 H+H.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, there is not much info yet on their website. They are a young/new company.
I talked to them and learned quite a bit.
Mostly, I an wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with them.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm working up loads for a 8x68s BRNO 602 using their 221 gr bullets. I haven't hunted with them yet. I just received their .264 Cal-117g Sledge Hammer bullets that I will use in a 6.5x57 Mauser.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jgrabow, Please keep us informed. I am curious.

I like it when a new bullet company shows up.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I shot several species of plains game with the sledge hammer design this year. I was using a 270-300 Win Mag wildcat and ran the 133 grain around 3400 fps and also my 416 Ruger with the 400 grain sledge hammer at 2450 fps. If I remember correctly I shot 10 animals ranging from springbok up to wildebeest from 25 yards to 320 yards. All animals were one shot and done with the exception of a black wildebeest I pulled high on and required a second shot. I only recovered one bullet and the rest were complete pass through.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sniper, Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good hunt!
Did you notice if the bullets shed their petals and caused much trauma and bleeding? What were the exit wounds like?
Thanks again, Brian

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Caliber size entry and quarter sized exits. Looked like petals shed at about 6"-8" in and then the shank continued for straight line penetration. Significant trauma along the way. I had a lot of pics until photobucket went away.

I will see if I can find them and maybe email to you. I only recovered one bullet and that was one of the .277 133 grain sledge hammers from the second shot on a black wildebeest. The shot was at 200 yards and square on shoulder and was recovered just under skin on opposite shoulder.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sniper, That is good news. Perfect performance. I got the impression that Hammer Bullets knows what they are doing with bullet design for terminal performance. Being a young small company their priority is perfecting the product and the Web/marketing info is always evolving.

I have had success with Cutting Edge Bullets and look forward to trying Hammer Bullets. They have similarities, and for now, the Hammer Bullets are sure priced right for a boutique bullet.

As an old entrepreneur I wish the best for them.
I would love to see some of your photos. My email is brian@fastcutcnc.com

Good stuff, Brian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so what is their impact window of operation?
or is everything just push it as fast as possible?

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
1600fps to as fast as you want to run it within the parameter of your specific caliber. I would call and ask for Steve or Brian for more detailed information.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za