Tools

Trimmer,Neck turner question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the new Hornady Cam Lock any good?
Anybody use one?
Pros,cons.
I am looking at replacing my RCBS trimmer as it has developed a habit of throwing the case out of the shell holder while trimming.
Add the cost of those funky shell holders and the Hornady is sounding better as it uses
standard shell holders.
Also need info on hand held neck turners,is the new Hornady a good bet or does someone recommend a different one.
Can anyone recommend a trimmer that will true up case rims? I believe Forrester made one but cannot find it in the catalog.
Thanks,
Z

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Z, I`m not familiar with the RCBS trimmer you have, mine uses a collet to hold the case while trimming not shell holders. If your haveing trouble with it RCBS is good about repairs or replacing their products, I`d call them and see what they say. Maybe you can save a few bucks to put toward a good neck turner.
I use a Forster hand neck turner on cases for my min chambered 270 and am not real happy with it. The Hornady tool may be a better one but I know from useing a friends Sinclair tool I`ll get one of theirs when I replace the one I have. I`ve also heard K&M makes a excellent neck turner.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<stanmyers>
posted
Don't have a lot of experience but this is what I have. For a trimmer I use a Wilson, necks are guaranted to be cut straight. Don't know how familiar you are with them, but they are machined piece of art. For and neck turner at a reasonable price K&M is the best. Don't forget to get mandrels for sizing the neck so it just slips over the neck turning mandrel. I use an electric screw driver for power source. works great

one of us
posted Hide Post
OL'Joe,
I changed mine over from the collet holder to the arm you push down to use a flat plate type shell holder.
I also think the RCBS is too low,i added a chunk of 2x4 under it and this seemed to help some.
I did not like the collets for one reason,if there was a nick in the rim,from an extractor,the case was not held straight.
Yes i agree with you on RCBS' customer service,it is top shelf.
Since i am buying a Chronograph here real soon i will have to pass on the Gracie trimmer
I have heard good things about K&M tools,but have never used any of them.
They sure don't make this easy do they?
I guess i will chat with some of the folks at the range and see if i can try out some of the tools the long range shooters use.
Thanks,
Z

[This message has been edited by Z (edited 05-06-2002).]

<.>
posted
The cam/shell holder end of the RCBS kept coming loose on me. I torqued it with an allen key on a 1/2" drive socket. That and PERM locktite. Seems to work fine now.

I mounted my trimmer on a 2 X 4 and clamp that setup in a wood vise.

Seems like RCBS could come up with a shell holder system that is better than what they offer. And two allen screws to hold the cam/shell holder end to the base.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
posted Hide Post

QUOTE]Originally posted by Genghis:
[B]The cam/shell holder end of the RCBS kept coming loose on me. I torqued it with an allen key on a 1/2" drive socket. That and PERM locktite. Seems to work fine now.

I will have to try this on mine and see if it makes a difference.

I mounted my trimmer on a 2 X 4 and clamp that setup in a wood vise.

That was one of the first things i did after i bought mine.

Seems like RCBS could come up with a shell holder system that is better than what they offer. And two allen screws to hold the cam/shell holder end to the base.

With all the technology available you would think so,wouldn't you.
Those two little locator pins are a joke also.
Z

one of us
posted Hide Post
Z, I think the wilson trimmer is about the best on the market also I use either a K&M or Sinclair neck turner for my first cut then I use either a Hart or Neilson for the final cut. Sinlair has oversized expander mandrels which work great for the necks. The Neilson is about $150. I think the Hart deluxe is over $125. The extra neck mandrel for the Neilson are about $50.00 and for the Hart $20.00. If I was only doing necks for one cal. I would go with a Neilson and he makes a case lathe also. Once you use one of the high end neck turners it's hard to use a K&M except for the first cut. Well good luck! Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
Z, I think the wilson trimmer is about the best on the market also I use either a K&M or Sinclair neck turner for my first cut then I use either a Hart or Neilson for the final cut. Sinlair has oversized expander mandrels which work great for the necks. The Neilson is about $150. I think the Hart deluxe is over $125. The extra neck mandrel for the Neilson are about $50.00 and for the Hart $20.00. If I was only doing necks for one cal. I would go with a Neilson and he makes a case lathe also. Once you use one of the high end neck turners it's hard to use a K&M except for the first cut. Well good luck! Tom

Hey Tom,
I'm not sure whether I should be happy about the fact that you have just expanded my horizon with respect to quality of neck turners (and other tools), or whether I should feel frustrated about the fact that there seemingly is always another gadget (at an even higher price, naturally) between you and "reloading Nirvana".

But do tell me: if one was not to invest the mega-$$$ in either a Hart or a Neilson, are there significant quality differences between the K&M and Sinclair neck turners?? K&M is quite a bit more economical.

Maybe a general comment about the quality of K&M as opposed to Sinclair products??

Thanks a bunch in advance - mike

------------------

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Z, I've got a Forster in NY and a Lyman with the cam-lock here in PA. The Lyman holds the cases securely, and seems a little faster that the collet type.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I started out using an RCBS neck turner and tried different ones on the market. I decided on the Hart as I started to get more rifles built with tight necks. The last one I bought was the Neilson and it's set up for the 6mm. For the average shooer the K&M or Sinclair is a good choice also a Wilson might be a good choice. I agree there are alot of gadgets out there and most are just that. If you go to benchrest .com and ask which is the best neck turner you will get back the Neilson. Well good luck.
Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote