New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL22 or IMR7828
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
These powders seem to be close in the books, and I would be interested to know if anyone has seen one do better than the other in the 7mm mag, and 280AI. Is either one less temperature sensitive? More consistent? More accurate? Or is this a trial and error type situation.

A lot of my testing may be in 40-60degree weather, but when I am shooting crop permits, it can be 90 degrees.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like both powders. I think your right and it's a matter of each rifles preference. There was a rumor that the RL22 was not as consistant lot to lot but talk like that never comes with much proof.

I think all powder is affected by temperature changes and until independent testing is published I will ignore the advertising.

Don't leave your ammunition in the sun. That advice makes the most sense to me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
If you want 7828 performance with great uniformity (temp sensetive that 7828!) go with RL 25 and call it a day!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll help you with this one

1: stay down from max loads, with anything, at 40 degrees

2: I like rl22, but i dont load it hot

3: temp matters... -20 to 120 matter... 90 to 100 dont... due to

jeffe

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
2: I like rl22, but i dont load it hot

I, too, have found this to be a very important ground rule when working with Re-22.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I shot 7828 and liked it, still do. RL-22 however has taken the day in most of my rifles. I can get faster loads and more accurate loads with it. I shoot it in my .300 Win, a .257 Wby, a 7mm Wby, two .358 STA's, and a 7mm STW. I load it hot and have no problems. I buy several pounds at a time of the same lot number. When I change lot numbers I always back off from max loads and see how the new lot behaves, as any reloader should with any powder, regardless of manufacturer. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stay a grain under max as a starting point, and see what developes as I test the loads.

The groupings thus far seem to be close, so I wondered if one would eventually seperate itself as the better group at higher velocity.

Thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I've used both powders in my .300 Wby and 7mm Rem mag and I prefer 7828. I get better accuracy and less barrel fouling with it.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of RL22, but I have been using 7828 in my 7mag & .280 lately w/ great results. Pressures seem to be a bit lower w/ a bit higher vel. & exc. accuracy.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote