New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHOULDER DENTS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a problem with dents in the shoulder of my reloads . I also know to much lube can cause this ,

so I am paying real close atteniion to this. Here is the question what else could be doing this. I am new at

loading rifle ammo . But have loaded for some time for my handguns.

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
99.9% is on lube dents, try changing types or lube, or methods of lubing. there are several types of spray ons that must more or less dry before using or they will cause dents. If you're using an oil, use a lightly oiled ink pad and roll cases gently accross. Sizing was is also used sparingly.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
MAke sure the vent hole is clear.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes absolutely make sure the vent is clear..
Also I cant see how much lube you are using but you don't NEED a lot of lube around the neck and shoulder area. Most of the sizing takes place on the main body of the case towards the base..
Try lubing a case by hand and put a liberal amount of lube on the sides of the case ( just enought to feel the case go in and out of the die fairly easy.. if you feel a lot of resistance then you need more lube..) and wipe off any excess lube you find on the neck and shoulder. Just leave the neck and shoulder slightly slippery and see what happens.
If you are still having troubles then your port is probably plugged.
With the necessary amount of lube and a clear port, you should never see dents in your cases..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I THANK YOU Smiler

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually lube my cases on a pad although I have used the spray lube with success. I run the brass neck into some mica to lube the inside of the neck and give the outside neck and shoulder area of the case a quick swipe with a paper towel to remove the mica and lube from this area. Don't know if its right or wrong, but it works for me and I've eliminated the dents with this process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean your die well. There may be built up lube in the top of the die causing pressure to dent your shoulders. Also, some of my dies, like all my Reddings I think--have no vent hole--is this right Steve Ricciardelli (he would know) and I don't have any issues if I keep my dies good and clean--I also really like the Redding Imperial Die Wax for lube, it works great and is easier to apply/clean off than it sounds.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a lube pad and the old RCBS lube!

I let about 1/4 of the case body hang over the edge of the lube pad while I roll the cases! This keeps the oil away from the shoulder!

Then I apply very little to the neck with my fingers!

AN OLD RULE OF THUMB: Apply enough lube so that you can feel it, but not see it!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote