Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag w/ 4064.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GatorT/C
posted
Frowner I have had some strange readings using 4064. I normally use 4350, but thought I would give 4064 a try with my Encore pistol. I am using Nosler 150g Ballistic Tip bullets with Winchester WLRM primers and Winchester brass. The chronograph that I am using is the cheap Chrony, but it seemed to work reasonably all day long until I shot the 4064 loads. The loads (10) with 61g of 4064 looked good, buth then I shot ten rounds of 62g of 4064 and got two seperate readings of over 3450fps! On the first one was part of a three shot group that measure only 1/2", so I thought that it was just a fluke reading, but on the second three shot group one shot was an inch and a half higher leading me to believe that it might be a legitimate reading. Primers were slightly flat, but not abnormally cratered. All of the primers look similar. I did reset (power off) the Chrony and the rest of the day looked reasonable. Should I try to load up another set at 62g, or do I stop immediately? The main reason I liked the load at 62g was because I was getting 1/2" groups. Confused

Posts: 31 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the velocities are staying in the approximate same velocity range, and you are happy with the accuracy.... and the primers are going in, and the case didn't seem to expand too much more when you resize it, I wouldn't worry about it..

Several of my reload manuals list the max charge for 4064 with a 150 grain bullet as 65 grains...

If the Encore is long throated, and you have the bullet seated out farther, I can see a reading of 3450.... I think it is optimistic... but I have experienced similar results... on velocity higher than listed in all the reload manuals...

Maybe if someone else has a chrony you can test the load against yours....

How close to the muzzle was the chrony also???too close can affect readings...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GatorT/C
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think that nobody was going to answer! The chrony was 15 to 20 feet downrange. Maybe the battery was just getting weak in the unit. I will try to run a few more similar loads through it. Thanks again!

Posts: 31 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problemo!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 66grs of 4064 with a 150gr in my 300 Weatherby, never chronoed the load, should only be about 2900 or so, shoots sub moa in my Vanguard

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I'm using a 61gr. 4064 in my 300 win mag with 150gr. SST's for plinkers.

I average 3350-3400fps with it. I forgot the load but I know you can easily go past 3500fps with 150gr. Nosler BT and still keep accuracy. A friend of mine used them on antelope and they swatted them down like a duck on a pond.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote