Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Won't Close
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I've run into a particular problem I've never seen before. I loaded 20 223 cartidges using 23 grains of IMR 4198 and Sierra 40 grain HP for an OAL of 2.175". This is for my Tikka 223 Rem T3 Hunter.

For some strange reason, I can not lock down the bolt when chambering 17 of the 20 cartridges. The real odd thing is that I can not measure any difference between the 3 that do chamber and the 17 that don't.

The OAL is the same within 0.001" or so. It is not even close to maximum OAL for the Tikka. The neck diameter is pretty much the same -- if anything, it is a thou or so less on the ones that don't chamber. The size to the shoulder looks identical, although I don't have a super precise method of measuring it.

In the past, I've used the same batch of shells, dies, & press to make other loads, but with Hornady 35 grain V-Max and they worked just fine. The loading equipment is made by Lee.

What can I have done wrong? Can you guys give me some clues as where to look?

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's really pretty common that after a few reloadings the brass' shoulder is moved forward and it will be hard to close the bolt. You probably need to full length size that brass and it will chamber. You can try pulling a bullet on one of the rounds that won't chamber and see if the empty brass will chamber, if not that's your problem. It's also possible that case length is so long that it won't let the bolt close, make sure it's correct.

If you need to full length size that brass, you can screw the full length die down to not quite touching the shell holder and try sizing a case and see if it will chamber. If it does, then that's the minimum amount of sizing needed to chamber in that rifle. If it won't chamber then turn the die down 1/4 turn and try again. In this way you will only size the brass a minimum and increase case life. Some folks size like this all the time and don't use neck sizers.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I did use full size dies and turn it until it touched the shell holder and backed off 1/2 turn as the instructions indicated. I used the same procedure for the 35 grain that did chamber and the 40 grain that don't, but they where done at different times, so it is possible that I may have backed off too much the second time. I will try your suggestion and see if any of the shells alone will chamber. I need to buy a bullet puller do pull them out.

Regards,
Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was having a problem with my tikka t3 in 243, similar to yours but I wasnt lubing the inside of the necks enough on some cases and when I pulled the expander back through it pulled the shoulder back up. Make sure you lube the inside enough so it doesnt stick or pull hard when you pull the expander back through. If it always pulls hard you can reduce the size of the expander a little by polishing it with some 600 grit paper, it will also make the finish smoother and reduce friction.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen reloaded ammo which refused to chamber because the shoulder diameter had been increased during the bullet seating operation. The length of the resized brass may be to long or the seating die may be incorrectly set (possibly when doing a heavy crimp), which then causes the shoulders of the case to be crushed and diameter increased at the shoulder. This problem can be hard to see, but should be measureable with a caliper.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory,

The shoulder needs to be set back by your FL die. As you said you screw it in till it touches the shellholder then back off half a turn. Try the case (still empty) in your rifle's chamber. If its a tight fit screw it in 1/4 turn more at a time till the sized cases fits easily.

It could be that you need to turn it in till it touches the shellholder plus up to 1/2 turn more. This takes out all slack/spring in the press.

If you partially full length size with a FL die this problem will occur sooner. Use neck dies until the cases get hard to extract then FLS & trim if necessary, then start the cycle all over again. Get more reloads out of the brass this way.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Lee 270 wsm dies that have the same problem. I switched to RCBS and the "problem" is gone.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

My bet would be the lack of lube inside the neck. I use a q-tip and apply just a little Imperial Die wax to the neck shoulder junction (inside). If you hear any sound other than a "swoosh" when the expander is withdrawn you need lube.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My bet would be the lack of lube inside the neck. I use a q-tip and apply just a little Imperial Die wax to the neck shoulder junction (inside). If you hear any sound other than a "swoosh" when the expander is withdrawn you need lube.
Good luck!

The way I lubed the inside of the neck was to apply some lube on a RCBS 22 cal neck brush and then run the brush in & out of the neck. In hindsight, I don't think that left enough lube in there. I use to use a q-tip like you, but I was trying to clean the neck & lube in one step.

Lesson learned: don't cut corners.

Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity,..have you checked the body dimension at the shoulder/body junction with a caliper? Some dies when touching the shell holder will crimp the case and push enough neck back to "bulge" the shoulder. I had a set that did that to me,..lesson learned. It may not be the issue,...but just check them quickly to eliminate it as a potential cause. HTH

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Just a thought , but take a Sharpie marker and color one of the difficult cases . After it dries , run it into the chamber. Hopefully this will give an indcation of where your problem lies , prior to making adjustments.

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was taken from the Sierra X-Ring Web site;
It should help you cure your problem.
http://www.sierrabullets.com/xring/index.cfm?fuseaction=Vol8no1#01

It is usual for precise die setup to begin a turn and a half to two turns of the die body off the shellholder. Haste makes for less than desirable results in this operation. So, adjust your die 1/4 of a turn at a time down, towards the shellholder and try the case in THE rifle you are going to use. Make sure you quit just before you can close the bolt. Then change the increment to 1/8th of a turn until you feel you are very close to closing the bolt. Now for the final increment of 1/16th of a turn until the bolt will just close with little feel or perhaps no feel is perfect for most shooting requirements.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote