New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 with Magnum Primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to load some pdog ammo with hornady 55 gr pills. My speer manual notes that I should use magnum primers with my h335 load. I do use cci 450 with my varget 69 smk load, but been using wsr with lighter bullets.

I need to order a couple of cases of primers and was wondering if I should just go ahead and get cci 450 or stick with wsr or cci 400's?

On a side note, CCI does recommend the mag primers with ball powders.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
well around here, one has to use what primers that they can get ahold of at times...

I have even used CCI small pistol primers on loads of 25 grains of H 335, and they did just fine....no loss in velocity to speak of, and mo loss of accuracy...

So I don't think you need magnum primers in a 223, regardless of powder type... but it won't hurt anything, unless you are redlining your loads and then using them on a mega hot day...
then I have seen other pop a few primers with H 335 and max loads and CCI mag primers...

My preferences are Winchester Small Rifle, or Rem 7 1/2 primers...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had ignition problems with H335 and 55gr bullets in the 223, I agree that Small Rifle Magnum primers are needed with H335.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I've never had ignition problems with ball powders in the 223 but I have found the best accuracy with ball powder and the CCI 450 primer with almost every ball powder I've tried in the 223.

3-7-77

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested cci br4 primers against cci 450 primers. 5 five shot groups of each type. All other components the same. The CCI 450s showed a 3 fps smaller standard of deviation than the br4's. At half the price I'll stay with the 450's.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm presuming ignition problems what I had was vertical stringing in cold (20F-30F) temperatures.

Switching to 450's cut it down, but I have since determined that my rifle just doesn't like H335.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like dwheels.....

To tell the truth I haven't been able to determine any differnce between Magnum primers (CCI-450's) and the 400's.

A buddy gave me 1,000 CCI-450's and I tried them in my .222 & .223 loads - gave me the same POI for all loads and while I didn't run back & forth from the bench to the targets with a micrometer, couldn't tell any difference between the two but the loads are far from maximum also and I'm using Ball Powders and/or very finely grained powder(s).

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have burnt up an awful lot of H335 (@10-12#) in .223's. Never in any super cold weather but I've never had any ignition problems using standard primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 223 loaded with H335 shoots it's best groups using the CCI450.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got some of both on hand, guess I'll have to make another trip to the range. Sure hate that...

Then I'll decide how many to order of each.