New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go Gauges for setting loading dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have go gauges for setting my swap barrels on rifles.

After removing the decapping stem from the sizing die, can the go gauge be used to set full length sizing dies in a handloading press ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Never tried it and I don't think it would work. The inside dimension of reloading dies is a few thousands smaller than the finished dimension of the brass due to the brass springing back after sizing. Also most dies size down brass to the minimum size of chamber dimensions.

There also tends to be a bit of flex in even the stiffest reloading presses which requires the die being set down a touch lower in the press then you'd likely set the dies if using a go-gauge and not stressing the die under the force of sizing.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, when I first saw your post, I was uncertain whether to answer. Ater all, it could be that you'd get the definitive, exact answer you were looking for - because I'm not sure I can provide that. But since only Paul was nice enough to take you up on your question, maybe I will as well. Who knows, sometimes a couple of answers can start a whole sequence of replies coming...

I think the answer to your question depends on how precisely you can set your headspace with your go/no-go gauge. I'm not a smith, but just from what I've heard you are often looking at several thousands variance from your gauge. If that is the case, then you'd be looking at the upper end of the precision you'd want to size your brass with. In other words, your idea does not immediately appeal to me.

What you want to do, is to measure the fired vs. the sized brass with a headspace gauge. The fired brass will be a lot closer to representing the size of your chamber, than the go/no-go gauge will. A headspace gauge costs maybe 30$, not eactly the world. In my opinion, this would be the better tool for what you are trying to achieve.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote