THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Most Accurate and effective medium game hunting projectile

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Accurate and effective medium game hunting projectile
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler Been experimenting with Amaxs in my 308 custom tube gun, on medium size game and have had mixed results. I also use Nosler Ballistic tips and whilst not quite as accurate as Amaxs, they are very effective.

Other than Nosler BTs, what are people's favourite 308 bullets..???

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Consider Nosler Accubonds! I have had good results with Accubonds in 308, and 257.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just luv Nosler Partitions, some say they are not as accurate, as other bullets but the kids and I have killed 30 moose over the years and none walked off. We use Nosler Partitions in our 270, 7 mags, and 338s. Use Barnes TTSX in the 6.8s & 30-378. Have shot plenty of caribou & bear with both guns. I do believe that the TTSX bullets kill better than accubonds, why I don't know as I thought they were of similar construction, just our experience. We don't like the GMX's even though they penetrate better than TTSXs, had to do back up shots too many times.

If I had to pick one bullet exclusively, would be the nosler partition hands down. We always find the bullet against the hide on back side when we are skinning/quartering the moose. It expends its entire power inside the moose, never exits the animal.

There is a reason why there are more black and gold boxes on my reloading bench, those partitions have proved up over the years with my family.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm,

A-Maxes are just what they're made to be - a target bullet and I'm not suprised you're asking this question as eventually there will be diappointment if you use them on game.

Ballistic Tips come in two versions, Hunting & Varmint, and I use alot of Nosler Ballistic Tips Hunting with loads that afford pin-point accuracy and solid peformance on medium-sized game. The 150 gr. BT's are an oustanding choice in a 308 Winchester IMO.

I've always been able to coax outstanding accuracy outa Nosler Partions and always wondered why folks Poo-Poo'ed their accuracy but swore by their terminal perfomance. Obtained both with little effort and they remain the bullet of choice in many of my loads. Why not give the .308" Nosler Parttion 150 grainers a try in your custom .308?

Zhurh,
quote:
We don't like the GMX's even though they penetrate better than TTSXs, had to do back up shots too many times.

This has been my experience with 150 gr. .308" Hornady GMX's as well. They're fantastically accurate & penetrate very well. The exit wound is always just @ 1" diameter regardless of the type of game, but somehow what happens between the entry wound and the exit wound dosen't work like it does with Barnes bullets. The Barnes are in most cases simple DRT, the original Dirt Nap. The Hornady's kill the animal for sure but they run alot (and far) after the shot.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Individual rifles vary in what bullets they "like", so there is no single right answer to your question.

However, across the board and among the most rifles, the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Nosler Accubond tend to be the most accurate. In the trials I've done each behaves identically to the other in terms of velocity and point of impact in bullets of the same weight and caliber. In fact, I work up loads for the Accubond using B.Tips since the B.Tips are a bit less expensive. In my experience you can simply substitute the Accubond once you have the load you want and it will shoot just the same as the B.Tip.

Depending on what you class as "medium" game, the fairly rapid-opening Ballistic Tip might be your choice (generally for game under 200 lbs) and the Accubond might be your choice for larger "medium" game. However, the Accubond will take the lighter game quite effectively, so if you wanted to use only one bullet the Accubond would be the choice.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the a-max and interbond is like an interlock with an initiator tip.
if you want less explosiveness, and more penetration switch to the regular interlock.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I dropped all of my partitions and use nothing but Accubonds.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Acubond. Very Accurate in most of my rifles and they WORK.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've shot an awfully lot of game with partitions, and never had one fail

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use both Interbonds and Accubonds. Excellent performance accuracy wise and on penetration. Minimal meat damage.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I started my reloading days as a Nosler Partition fan, but these days I find myself gravitating to the Barnes TTSX more and more. I haven't used them, but I am interested in the Nosler Accubonds, too.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Have also gravitated to Accubonds over Partitions, they work very, very good.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Fans, You all know about Shooters Pro? They have made me an even more Nosler Fanatic and now I'm using all of their bullets for rifle & pistol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure glad others have had the same perceptions I have had with those Partitions, GMX's, and TTSX Barnes bullets. All along I thought I was just getting superstitious like the ole Indians around here. We've been using Accubonds mainly with the 6.8 ARs, the kids that is. They seem to put caribou right down with the TTSXs and the Accubonds, though not as ineffective as the Hornaday GMXs; for us the Accubonds just don't do it like the Barnes bullets. I picked up a bunch of 110 accubonds so will give them another try this summer.

Gerry, We hunt with ARs off snowmachines & 4 wheelers, we really like them on 2 point slings. I picked up a Scar 17 308 last fall. I have over a dozen boxes of 168 & 180 ballistic tips sitting on the shelf. I'm going to start loading that nice Lapua 308 brass for my Scar with those; think that be a good choice? What powder do ya suggest?

Here's something that'll make ya grin: I have this huntin buddy, Viet Vet that spent some time in Africa in 70's and did some hunting there when prices were better and game thick. Pretty good hunter that always kills when out and about. So he got me into the 30-378 a few years back with Barnes 180 TTSX's. Then last year, he changed up on me with his 30-378 to those 168 GMX's. He claimed they went through 14 inches of pine, chronoed at 3600, and were 5 bucks a box cheaper than Barnes. We saw this nice bull one day, about 200 yards, and he had to shoot it like 3 times with his 30-378, left him sutterin, he couldn't believe it himself. Then we have this one spot along a dirt road, the wolves like to stroll down the middle about 8 pm every evening when the caribou are around. So he sat up on a stool in trk bed and here come the wolves. He blasts one with the 30-378 & GMXs and the wolf goes down, jumps back up stumblin and off into the woods he goes. There were bones chips, blood, and all on the road, and we followed that wolf at least 200 yards until it got dark, never got the eatin machine either. I think my buddy is back onto the TTSX's now, ha ha.

I'm really stocking up on Nosler Bullets of late , just got a bunch of boxes .308 180 grain Nos Part Spitzers, $20.60/50. I plan on getting at least 5-10 boxes every grain weight in .277, .284, .308, .338, and maybe a few more. I'm half scared now that the GC flopped, we might see big time sin taxes on reloading supplies;;; Don't want my grandkids outta ammo when the caribou are out taking the grand tour down our road.

The other bullet that I've always wondered about but never tried is the Swift-A Frames and Sciroccos. I picked up a few boxes of those guys, 165 grainers. Are they any better than say TTSX's or Accubonds? I'm just a local Ak hunter, just out for fresh meat, but people that hunt all over the world claim those Swift bullets are the ticket, at least that's what they tell me. Anybody use them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
Have also gravitated to Accubonds over Partitions, they work very, very good.

This is kind of where I'm at now. I've killed lots and lots of stuff over the past 41 years with partitions. The accubond, in my mind, is a more accurate partition with a plastic tip. They are an awesome bullet. I'm not wanting or intending to start a pissing match, but I don't understand the attraction to these target/hunting bullets when there are proven,accurate performers readily available.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Honestly, which ever bullet shoots well in your rifle.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
I'm sure glad others have had the same perceptions I have had with those Partitions, GMX's, and TTSX Barnes bullets.?

I'm with ya. The Partition is THEE bullet by witch all others are judged. I hunt with Partitions in all my hunting rifles cept the 7.62 x 39 and 6.5 Grendel, these two get the TTSX treatment.

I have had no problems getting Partitions to shoot great in my rifles, some rifles took more work and range time then others, but the end results were the same, Accurate a Deadly.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I have always been a fan of the Nosler Partition bullets but for all-round hunting (deer - white tail and mulies) I use the old Hot Core Speer bullets.
Keep in mind that this is with my 30-06 and 358 Winchester. I don't use small rifle calibers to hunt with. I do use the Partitions for dangerous game and those that are bigger and have heavier skeletal systems.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Consider Nosler Accubonds! I have had good results with Accubonds in 280 Ack Imp & 9.3X62. My friend has great results from 7mm WSM.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote