New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use the 257 Roberts for longrange shooting? If so how far will it be accurate to.
I have just started reloading for the one I got my wife. It was an old mauser that they converted so it has a cheap stock and a barrel that I am not completely confident in yet, however, with factory ammo she can shoot 2 MOA. Also needs a trigger because it has a non-adjustable that is set between 8 and 9 pounds

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Each rifle, regardless of chambering, is a law unto itself when it comes to accuracy. In that sense, no one who has not used your rifle with ammo made to suit it, can answer your question.

The .257 cartridge itself, in a good rifle, with ammo suited to that rifle, and shooting a good long range bullet, such as a Fowler 110 gr. VLD bullet, should give excellent accuracy out to 800 meters or farther.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
If you have a rifle that can shoot 2 MOA with a 8-9 lb trigger and factory ammo, I would say that you probably have the makings of a good shooter. Both handloads and a good trigger ought to bring down the group size measurably.

The 25-06 is used on a regular basis for long range varminting and long range big game hunting such as antelope. It's cousin the .257 Roberts does not give up all that much to the 25-06 in speed and can be made just as accurate.

In the old Mauser action I would not try to hot rod the loads for a while. Published loads for the Roberts are generally pretty conservative because of the number of old rifles out there in the caliber. Even a small ring Mauser in good condition should handle standard published loads for the calibers.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my Step Dad returned from WW II, the first rifle he had built was a 257 Roberts Varmint rifle. It had a heavy barrel, a Beavertail forend stock, with a Unertl scope mounted on top. It weighed about 11 pounds. I saw him make some spectacularly long range shots on groundhogs with it, not out past 500 yads, but close to it. I have two 257 Roberts rifles now and both shoot well.

Don