Find
Notify
Tools

Once fired, boxer primed, military .308 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I don't know if this link will work here, but will try to post it just in case anyone is interested. It is once fired, boxer primed military 7.62x51 brass. It still has the primer crimped in place, but that is no big thing to deal with.

The price is $198 plus shipping per 2,000 pieces of brass. Here is a try at the link...

OFB762NATO Mixed Bulk Nato 7.62x51mm (.308 Win) Once Fired Brass $198/2000

It is Wideners which is selling it. They also currently have once-fired military .223 brass available at substantially lower prices.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, AC.

Direct link:

http://www.wideners.com/itemde...&dir=278|282|909|980

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting a link that works, Craig.

The same "home" site also lists .223 brass at, IIRC about $169 for 3,000 pieces.

tu2

BTW, it's worth browsing their current powder sales too. They have W-844 and W-846 for like just under and just over $90 per 8 lb. keg, and on multiples of 3 kegs, they pay the hazmat! I've done business with them for over 30 years, and they're good people to buy from. Their 50 BMG powders are on sale so cheap right now I'm not even gonna mention the price.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I've purchased and loaded some of this type of brass several years ago....It was very difficult to size, as it had originally been fired in a machine gun... Very loose chambered machine gun. More work than it was worth.
After shooting it in my rifles it would load and size normally. Just a pain in the butt. salute

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you certain it was THIS type of brass...or was it just used military brass? Have you asked Wideners if this brass was fired in machine guns?

Assuming it is used in machine guns seems to me to be a pretty big assumption to damn brass on, if you haven't asked the seller about their specific goods.

I've bought thousands of rounds of used military brass and never had a lick of trouble with it.

It is really not too difficult to ask the seller before buying if it has been fired in machine guns. Then if it isn't what you want, don't buy it.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
It is most-likely MG brass. There aren't enough M14s in operation to assume that much if any of this was fired in them.

I bought a thousand rounds of this earlier in the year and it is a bear to FL resize. Even my sturdiest presses (all-steel Hollywoods, Dunbars, and a CH) flexed about .005. Reloaders must either size the brass twice, or in my case, use a Hollywood Senior Turret with the tie bar screwed down to fully resize the brass the first time. However, some of that brass is so oversize I really have to lean on the handle with both hands to get the job done. old

Having written that, Wiedner's offer is a good one, and if the brass was LC or IMI only, I'd jump on it.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that Widner's would know if it was MG brass or not. I've never resized any brass that I knew was specificly MG brass but I've bought and used a ton or so of 1X GI brass. Notably some 1X .308 brass that I bought back when a 7-08 was still a wildcat. I ran the 1X .308 brass thru a 7-08 die w/o a problem. None of it was too tough for my old RCBS Jr press.
And too, at the price, a little sweat equity can't hurt. 'Course, you have to decide that. After all, you just need to resize it enough to fit in your chamber so's you can fire form it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Rohrer:

I bought a thousand rounds of this earlier in the year and it is a bear to FL resize.

So let mre ask this specifically...did you buy it from Widener's? My experience is that when the military "surpluses" brass, they will tell the buyers if ANY of it has been fired in machine guns or not. And I always found the retailers were honest with me about that IF I asked them.

Even my sturdiest presses (all-steel Hollywoods, Dunbars, and a CH) flexed about .005. Reloaders must either size the brass twice, or in my case, use a Hollywood Senior Turret with the tie bar screwed down to fully resize the brass the first time. However, some of that brass is so oversize I really have to lean on the handle with both hands to get the job done. old

I have alwys sized my .308 brass with an RCBS A-3 press, and standard el cheapo Herter's or regular RCBS dies, and I have never had any trouble at all doing so. Nor have I ever had to size any of it twice.

I am not saying you didn't have troubles with YOUR brass, but I didn't have any with mine. Of course, they were not likely from your supplier and definitely not likely from the same lot of brass, even if the supplier WAS the same.

Having written that, Wiedner's offer is a good one, and if the brass was LC or IMI only, I'd jump on it.

So, I guess, I'll repeat for everyone....if worried about the brass, ask Widener's questions before you buy. If you don't get answers you like, look elsewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Widener does list the brands and tell you that it is mixed and second source to the military. Here is what they said:

uper Sale Price on Bulk Packaged, ONCE FIRED Nato Headstamped 7.62x51mm (308 win) Brass. All of this brass contains the Nato Headstamp assuring you are receiving a True Mil Spec product. Headstamps may include LC, SBS, CBB, PMD, PMJ and/or TAA. No Guarantees on the Mix or Headstamp.

These are all "Second Source" suppliers of ammunition to the US Military. All brass contains a crimped Boxer primer. You will need to process this brass as it contains the fired primer and the normal grit and grime associated with Once Fired Brass.

Sold in 2000 qty lots only.

Price = $99/1k This is a Tremendous Deal !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow i guess i have been getting a good deal on brass. these are the prices im payin locally
9mm 1,000 once fired=$20
40s&w 1k once fired=$20
45acp 100 once fired $5
357mag 1k once fired $40
223 1k once fired $45
this is all range brass so rarely have i seen a crimped primer and no mg brass either.

i currently have 3k 9, 1k 40, 1500 45, 1k 357, 2k 223. i plan to pick up some more the next time i have a few dollars to blow. i would like to have 1-2k of each sealed up in vacum bags for future use incase the current prices are no longer available.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at 7.62 brass and got an estimate of pieces per pound. Then looked at the scrap price being offered for brass.
The scrap price is very close to 10 cents per piece.
Just my view of the world!

P.S. I have lots of brass I shot in my match rifles and would not consider selling it at that low an amount. It is available though, even have a few thousand marked LC-Match.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote