Find
Notify
Tools

LUBED Neck results FYI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedYesterday Itested 10 rounds of 6.5X55 that were identically loaded. Five had the insides of their necks lubricated (vaselene) during sizing and five did not.No attempt was made to remove the lurication.All were crimped.

Lubed; 2667 to 2726 fps.5 shot 3/4"group at 50 yds.

Non lubed , same point of impact, 2664 to 2778 fps., three touched 2 were 3/4" out. at 50 yds.

I'm not at all sure what this indicates ,if any thing but I thought I'd pass it on.Roger cheers

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Consistent bullet release, maybe, this is a small sample.

Loose the Vaseline unless you want other problems when it contaminates your powder. Try mica or Imperial.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I never use an expander except when forming cases to a larger caliber. At that time I use a dry lube like mica. There is no way in hell I would ever use a liguid lube in the neck of a case. Too many complications with that. Can be very dangerous if the powder gets mixed with the lube and forms a plug.

I have gone to all bushing dies from Redding. To lube the external part of the case I use Imperial wax. If you are lubing the neck to make bullet seating easier I would have to ask if you are chamfering the inside of the neck. I prefer the K&N with the shallow taper to the typical one from RCBS and others.

To make bullet seating easier I use a seating die with a bullet guiding insert like Hornady's, or drop in from the side dies like Ponsness-Warren or the RCBS Benchrest Seater. Both guide the bullet in well and make seating flat base bullets easy.

Neck tension on bullets is part of the internal ballistics equation. By reducing neck tension by lubing you
may find undesireable results. Today's smokeless powder's burn rate and pressure curve is influenced by the
resistance to expansion in your chamber. Neck tension is an important part of that. When people started using
moly coated bullet they were getting lower velocities than without it. The reason for this is in part due to
the reduction in neck tension.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be curious to see results of a similar test with a third group - sized with lube, but lube removed.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ OEH, try lubed necks, size & then remove the lube. I assume you are FL sizing. Also shooting 50yds groups tells you very little about any but a pistol load. Really, vasoline? Not sure you can even get all of that out of a case neck w/o solvent of some kind.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use imp die wax on the inside of my necks. like a hint, barely any. what I do is get some on a q tip and hit the inside like one revolution. then after it comes out, I use a clean q tip and hit it for about 30sec to get it out. No contaminated powder here. I have noticed that during the load session, some residual wax is left on teh expander, so you need less on the q tip as the session goes on. try that and see waht your loads do... @ 100yd.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I agree w/ OEH, try lubed necks, size & then remove the lube. I assume you are FL sizing. Also shooting 50yds groups tells you very little about any but a pistol load. Really, vasoline? Not sure you can even get all of that out of a case neck w/o solvent of some kind.
Amen!!!!!!!

Fellas, I'm not looking how to lube necks. I'm trying to do a study on the effects of the residual lube. Mica , graphite whatever **** done most of it through the years.It was something to look at this week's shooting. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poops, sorry. You know, I would be interested to know if the bullets get pushed in any from recoil in a mag box if there is residual lube, even with a crimped neck. Cartridge choice might make a diference too, a 375RUM recoils more than a Swede.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Roger,

JMO but in your test the crimp is going to have more of an effect on the outcome than the lube.

To test lubed necks I think you will have to eliminate the crimp and keep neck tension as uniform as possible.

OR, Roger.........you just proved that if you are crimping, you don't have to worry about a little lube left inside the neck. Wink

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Roger,

JMO but in your test the crimp is going to have more of an effect on the outcome than the lube.

To test lubed necks I think you will have to eliminate the crimp and keep neck tension as uniform as possible.

OR, Roger.........you just proved that if you are crimping, you don't have to worry about a little lube left inside the neck. WinkJim

thumbAnd I think you are right all the way round.I'll try it again without a crimp. thumbroger that's two thumps up, Jim. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that cleaning and very lightly lubing the inside of the neck makes resizing much easier. I use an old barrel swab, and "screw" in into my bench close to my press. After rolling the case over the lube pad, I push it over the barrel swab and quickly brush it over and around the swab.

I lube the swab occassionally with a small quantity of case lube (Bonanza), and find that it reduces the effort to pull the expander ball back thru the neck dramatically. I have never had a problem with the lube effecting the powder or primer. The swab gets really nasty, but I've been using the same one for over five years. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow, thats gross.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience lubing the inside of my necks greatly reduces bullet runout. I always clean the lube with a swab soaked with brake cleaner. I have been using LEE sizing lube in the tube, this is a white cream lube that is water soluble and is not supposed to react with powder.
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote