New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-74r/Keith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you have any reloading information on the 338-74r Keith?

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about this in Elmers Gunnotes in Guns and Ammo. Have you looked at the two books that contain the gunnotes?

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338-74KT or 338-74 Keith is a later version of the old 33 Poacher's Pet, a 9.3x74R case necked down and blown out somewhat but not to the max. A good article appeared in the G&A 1972 Annual on page 304 and Bob Hagel had a reloading article in Handloader 93 on page 26.

Case capacity and thus performance are almost identical to the 338 Win Mag if one uses the original Clymer long-throat chamber design, IOW 200@3000 and 275@2600 or thereabouts. An absolutely splendid cartridge IMO for the heavier game of NA.

Since I've used or rather tried to use RWS brass in the past, I suggest using Norma brass.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It took four hours to find the magazine in question and I liking what I have read, I have contacted C&H and they have dies on hand and sent me the drawing they used to mmake the dies and will contact madson monday about a reamer I plan to have it set so I can use up to the 300 gr bullets. With the proper bullets it don't give up much to the 338 mag and the case will be rimmed, as a plus Hornday has new cases in the system and it will look cool and can be used on anything you would use a 9.3-74r or 338 mag on.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Robert, PM me. I have one built on a Ruger #1H, very nice shooting round, pretty close to a 338winmag. I am not interested in 300gr bullets, but it shoots great w/ any 250gr @ 2700fps & 225gr to about 2900fps. The 210grTTSX @ 3000fps is a great long range round. I hope to take it for elk next season.
My reamer was from Clymer. If you are in the USA, I would consider loaning to you. Drop an address & I will post you a fired case or two. It is per the original Keith spec, long throat for 275gr bullets, but in the Ruger I can load out long. The 250grNAB is a great bullet as are any of the TSX.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
robertbryant@cox.net address is Robert Bryant 1510 SW Western ave Topeka, Kansas 66604 Ever time I look at the Keith story the more I like this Caliber. went to reloading site and was surprised there was so many loads for it I plane to try some of them as soon as I get the gun finished. THANKS for your help Robert Bryant

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll post some fired cases to you. Food for thought on brass. The rimmed case is prone to head seps, they stretch quite a bit on first firing. The Norma brass will spe after as few as 5 firings. I got hold of some RWS brass & they are much thicker in the web & I am on 9 firings now & no signs of head sep. Also proper dies setup is important. You'll want to size only enough so the round just snugs into the chamber when the block closes (I am assuming a Ruger #1?). This leaves very little room for stretch.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have use Hornaday brass with my 9.3x74r and my Beretta double rifle I was able to get 10 loading before I traded the 9.3x74r for a 375 H&H, I had RWS brass and Hornaday Brass had no trouble with either, plan to have custom dies done by Hornaday with the gun is done and held to a tight chamber spec so the brass don't have anywhere to grown and I also am using a Hall action which will allow almost no set back, in 308 Palma I am able to use the brass at least 10 time and then I use the brass in a gas gun so I don't have to pick it up. Will be watching for the fired cases Thanks RNB