Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 215 supply???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Obviously loading supplies have been tough to find in the last few years, but it seems to have eased up a bit recently.

BUT I haven’t been able to find Federal 215 Magnum Large Rifle primers for about 3 or 4 years. I assume nobody else is finding them either (other than some random old stock).

Has anyone heard when they’ll be available again? I tinker with a couple of the large Weatherby cases so I think that I should probably stick with the Federal 215’s (especially since I’ve worked up all my loads with them), but is it time to start thinking about switching if the Federals are never going to be available again?

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No answer to this question, it happens every time the words "gun control" gets mentioned for whatever reason. Many of my friends practice this and it really pisses me off, with the latest mentioning of the words they go on buying sprees, literally going from gun shop to gun shop HOARDING supplies, such is capitalism !! They have enough to last ten lifetimes and then they sell it to those in need...some of these shortages are caused by ourselves !!!!

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I had heard that Federal got a large military contract for rifle primers. Most of their production goes there along with their civilian ammo. Reloader's are not priority.

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finding plenty of them at Gun Shows and the local gun shops here. Had to give $34 for a brick at the last show.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, locally, it is hoarding that is driving the supply down. I too, have a friend, with lots of $, who literally buys all the primers they will sell him; he also has ten lifetimes supply of primers and powder. I tell him I can't wait for his estate sale so I can get them from his wife at ten cents on the dollar.

Posts: 17296 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff's Reloading, over in Boise, Idaho had several thousand in stock last Wednesday when I was there getting some decapping pins.
1-208-375-8694

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I understand the hoarding makes a big difference in supply, but I don’t think that’s the case for this specific product (Fed 215). Federal doesn’t seem to be making/shipping the 215 to the reloading market. I’ve had back-orders on many websites for the past couple years and none of those sites have gotten ANY. And I know of some well-connected people in the industry that can’t get any either.

I guess the military contracts could tie some up too, but I would think they’d need small rifle primers at least 10,000:1 compared to large rifle magnum primers – yet all brands of the small rifle primers seem to be pretty readily available recently.

Hopefully Federal will help us magnum reloaders out again soon.

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Bruno's Shooters Supply shows them in stock at $43/1000, minimum order 3000 primers.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I was just fortunate: I found a sleeve for $165 shipped a couple of years ago. The way things are going, somebody is going to get a heck of a deal on these at some point in time... there is no way I can shoot them up.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
okay, sell them to me. I guarantee I can use a thousand a year...

jumping

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
LGS has them and has for some time.

The Gold Medal Match Magnum Lg Rifle have been unobtainable.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been able to find them locally between local shops and Cabelas/Bass Pro. I've squirreled away 4000, should last me quite a while.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm just "215 blind" because I'm sure not finding them. I've checked Bruno a couple times today, and many times in the past, and haven't seen them in stock.
If nobody else is having a problem finding them then I guess it's just me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Graf's is listing them as "Temporarily unavailable from the manufacturer", so maybe they are all going to the military right now.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone in and around Memphis, TN needs any just let me know...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live near Beaverton, OR, and I have some I no longer need.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
If anyone else is having trouble finding Federal 215's I wanted to let you know that Cabela's finally filled my back-order (and the backorder of another forum member). And this week I even saw the ultra-unobtainum of the elusive 215 Match primers on the Cabela's site.

So while I'm not a huge fan of Cabela's, they came through on the 215's. And the prices were very fair too.

Apparently the 215 are in the pipeline again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
None in Twin Falls or between TWin Falls and Walsenburg Colorado, I checkes stores going and coming and I still don't have any Fed 215s..The shops locally are abundant with WW hot primers, but I hate to change, but it may come to that..Guess I need to buy box of 100 and see if it changes the POI of my 215 loads in the 300 H&H and the .338..what a pain, but I would get even with those Fed. bums. dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42178 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
Same as Kyler Hamann's experience, Cabelas just filled the back order that I placed with them 2 weeks ago for 5000 of the 215's. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has happened them for many years now, some kind of a crated shortage of 215s...Maybe I could save all this grief by switching to CCI 250s, but most of my present ammo is loaded with 215s, wonder if impact would change..Its just a pain in the kazoo..and shame on Federal.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42178 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who's your worst enemy, Hitlery or the firearms industry...?

You're going to get screwed, the only difference is the grit of the sand in the vaseline.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have reloaded for several years and do not stay at least 5 years ahead of any election your shortage is all on you. At my shooting rate of 2000 rounds per year evenly divided between 210M and 215M I have enough to weather the storm and then some. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote