New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Remington problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm having troubles with my reloads feeding in my Marlin 336C. I don't think I'm getting my case resized properly. How do I fix this? I don't have any problem with the factory loads cycling, but when I reload the cases the lever closes hard. I'm still able to fire the ammo and extract it without any problems after I get the chamber closed. I've looked for small base dies but haven't been able to find any yet in my caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The obvious questions are.
1. Are you full length resizing the cases?
2. Is your OAL correct?
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersFYI, In my Winchester Mod. 95 ,30-06 I had a similar problem. Extraction was difficult and puting the fired case back in impossible.The locking lugs, bolt and frame had acquired to much play over the years and the cases were streching when fired.Back than I had a cheap set of Black And White dies that ,as was, did not cut it. I wound up removing .004" to .005" from the base of the dies.This helped a lot. I also ,previously, polished the expander. Roll Eyes

You might try polishing the expander so it doesn't pull hard and distort the shoulder.

Try putting a fired case back in before you resize.That'll tell you something. If it goes in OK than you know your reloading is causing the problem . If it doesn't go in than the most suspicious culprits are the dies and or OAL or case length.

You could also have an ovalure chamber but a good set of dies should take care of that. Enough rambeling. lolhope it helps roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Make sure that the base of the sizing die is making contact with the shell holder/top of the ram.

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of RCBS FL dies when I decided to reload this rifle. I'm using Sierra 200gn RN and crimping in the cannalure OAL is well within max. When I set up the die I make sure the die comes in contact with the ram at the top of the stroke. I'm not having any trouble with the expander, but I'll check the sholder to make sure I'm not stretching the case any. I also made sure to trim the cases to length before I reloaded them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check everything out and let you guys know what happens.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
I bought a set of RCBS FL dies when I decided to reload this rifle. I'm using Sierra 200gn RN and crimping in the cannalure OAL is well within max. When I set up the die I make sure the die comes in contact with the ram at the top of the stroke. I'm not having any trouble with the expander, but I'll check the sholder to make sure I'm not stretching the case any. I also made sure to trim the cases to length before I reloaded them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check everything out and let you guys know what happens.

Crimping on the cannelure and getting the right Oal may not cut it. The bullet still may be engaging the rifling. Push the bullet in .150" deeper in a dummy resized case and see if you still have the problem. If you do I'll consult my buddy Jack Daniels. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Idea!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may also be over crimping. This will cause a slight bulge at the crimp which may cause difficult chambering of the cartridge. To check, simply seat to the canelure without crimping and see how the shell chambers. If you're using cases fired in your rifle and they will go back in after firing, I'll bet it's a crimp problem. Regards, Woody

Bring a kid along.

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woody1:GOOD THOUGHT
You may also be over crimping. This will cause a slight bulge where the Neck meets the bodywhich may cause difficult chambering of the cartridge. To check, simply seat to the canelure without crimping and see how the shell chambers. If you're using cases fired in your rifle and they will go back in after firing, I'll bet it's a crimp problem. Regards, Woody

one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be a stupid observation, but are you lubricating the inside of the case neck? Someone mentioned it above, but it is possible that a rough expander mandrel may be pulling the neck up, distorting the shoulder. Polishing the mandrel and/or lubricating the inside of the neck should eliminate this possibility.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Some lever actions have tight enough chambers that you have to have SB dies. In .35Rem they are a special order or custom proposition and may cost almost as much as the rifle. If I had to bet on it though, I would suspect overcrimping. I have had a similar problem with RCBS dies in several calibers, worst with the .30-30. I'd reset the seating die not to crimp and get myself a Lee Factory Crimp if the uncrimped round feeds properly. It never hurts to lube your case necks with powdered mica no matter what brand of sizing die you use.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It is my crimp that is causing me the problems. Pulled all of my bullets and resized and reloaded the casings. I don't have any feed problems anymore.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It is my crimp that is causing me the problems. Pulled all of my bullets and resized and reloaded the casings. I don't have any feed problems anymore.

thumb thumbroger

One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Nothing like an easy fix once in a while. Big Grin

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One othe thought on your problem after reading some post on your thread. Do you trim your cases? They need it just like any other brass cartridges. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote