New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lill Gun powder in .357Mag Marlin Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have started to load Lill Gun Powder in my .357Mag, but struggle to get a decent grouping in the 158gr JSP bullets (PMP)(velocity average 1920fps with 18gr of Lill Gun). However, I got an excellent grouping on 180gr Conical Plated Bullets (Frontier)(velocity average 1620fps with 15gr Lill Gun). Is it possible that the twist rate of the Marlin prefer heavier bullets? What is your experience?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible that the twist rate of the Marlin prefer heavier bullets? What is your experience?

It is possible that any rifle "prefers" one bullet over another, but twist rate in this instance likely has very little to do with it. You might find another 158 grain bullet that shoots even better than the 180. A rifle's bullet "preference" can be a somewhat random thing. Even a different powder might reverse the accuracy of the two bullets you mention.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1894 made in the 1980s in .357 Magnum that shoots very well (1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards) with the Speer 158 gr. JHP bullets and Win. 296. My rifle has micro-groove rifling. I would agree with Stonecreek that you might try different bullets and powders. I would also try various charges of Lil Gun. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H110 in mine it's a 2 inch rifle at 150 yards.

!58gr rem SP's

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rossi 92 loves lil'gun and 180 rem jhp bullets. Far and away the most accurate load and over 1700 fps.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old My custom 38spec. #3 Ruger is accurate with most pistol bullets and a # of rifle bullets. It thrives on H-110. H-110 should not be considered for revolvers , however. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies! What is strange is that the Extreme Spread is relative low - 15fps, but then I also know of load in my other rifles which group excellent with extreme spreads of 30fps. This is the fist time we get hold of Lill Gun Powder in South Africa. The alternative powder we had to use before was Somchem 265 which has left too much un-burned flakes in the barrel. I had used several brands of primers including Federal 205 SR primers. The Lill Gun Powder burns clean with SP Hirternberg 1206 primers. No pressure signs. The complaint on forums that Lill Gun burns a little too hot and leads to barrel erosion was a worrying thing, but it really does not seems to be a problem in my Marlin Rifle. I had shot 5 shot stings and let it cool for 15 minutes. When hunting you never shoot more than 3 shots at a time. Furthermore it does not warm the barrel more than other powders in my 30-06 or .270Win rifles.

H110 is not yet available at the moment. So I have to stick to Lill Gun Powder.

158gr Hornady or Nosler bullets are really scares at the moment in South Africa. Do'nt you think I should try going to 19gr with the 158gr bullets given the fact that there is no pressure sign at 18gr?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lil Gun is a fave of mine in my maxes. Can't see why it wouldn't work well in the mag. Personally I would prefer the 180 in that platform. You are getting all that extra velocity out of the long barrel why not make it real useful?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Is it possible that the twist rate of the Marlin prefer heavier bullets? What is your experience?

It is possible that any rifle "prefers" one bullet over another, but twist rate in this instance likely has very little to do with it. You might find another 158 grain bullet that shoots even better than the 180. A rifle's bullet "preference" can be a somewhat random thing. Even a different powder might reverse the accuracy of the two bullets you mention.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When hunting you never shoot more than 3 shots at a time

Can't have much to shoot at. Wink

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Lil'Gun seems to be made for the 357 Max, it shoots fantastic in all of my Maxi's. It also shoots fantastic in my 357 Mag Baby Rolling Block and Encore barrel. I looked at my rifle barrel throat with my bore scope and it looks almost new to me and I have been shooting Lil'Gun as the powder of choice since it probably came out and this thing has had a butt load of 357 mag ammo through it.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve E what kind of primers do you use with the .357 Max?

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
All I have ever used in my Maxi has been Winchester Small Rifle primers.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve! I still have some Federal SR (205) which would be worth testing. My Marlin struggle to set off CCI SR.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Were you talking about primers for the 357 Magnum or the 357 Maximum?

For all my 357 Magnums (rifles and pistols) I use Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers.

For my 357 Maximum (again rifle and pistol) I use Winchester Small Rifle primers.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran