New
Find
Notify
Tools

PULLIN 500 S&W BULLETS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Loade dupsome 500 S&W loads for a friends revolver. Musta belled the case sto far as they won't fi in the chamber.

I have a Hornady cam puller -- they do notoffer anything above 458 cal. How do I pull the mistkaes I have on my hands???

Will a kinetic do it on that large a cal???? or am I screwed?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I pull bullets, at least those that clear the top of my single stage press, is to place a cartridge in the shell holder in the press without a die installed and put the ram up and grab the bullet just above the brass with a tile nipper and then lower the ram. The bullet pulls out of the case with only two very slight marks on the bullets. These marks don't cause the bullets to shoot any less accurately nor do they compromise the integrity of them.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is inginuity tu2 Damn good way to tackle a problem. I think I will have to give it a shot!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If its just too much case bell, you can remove the decapping pin from the sizing die, lube the hell out of the case, and run it through the sizer die.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
If its just too much case bell, you can remove the decapping pin from the sizing die, lube the hell out of the case, and run it through the sizer die.

I never even thought that a possibility....Would certainly save me a whole lotta headache!

Thanks! jumping Have you done this before? At this point I wont really care if it even shaves a touch off the bullets! Just want to save the brass mostly!

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Thats all a Lee taper crimp die is. The problem may be that the die isn't deep enough for the loaded round. If your die is carbide you don't need to lube. Run a round up slowly to see how far it goes than try to to chamber it.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Tried it, but didn't work! DAMN!! Just pushed the bullet into the case. I was using 400gr Sierr FN. Woulda been fantastic!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it done and it went pretty quickly. I raised the ram and pulled them with a pair of soft jaw pliers. tu2 Thanks for the ideas.