New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot powders?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone using the Ramshot/Western powders? I have a can of Terminator for a .223 but I have not played with it. When I first heard of it a few years ago I heard claims of minimal fouling and excellent lot to lot consistency but have not really seen anyone mention it.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My friend and I have used Enforcer in .45 ACP and the .357 with very good results. It meters great which is a must through the progressives we load with. In the .357 it's works best at the upper end of the charge scale. Mag primers make a good difference in the .357; not much change in the .45. My biggest problem with these powders is the lack of information from the company. They answer letters right away, I'd like to see it included in one or two of the popular manuals. Try it out and see.

Posts: 17 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Enforcer in 7.62x25mm 110 gr, Starline brass, has primer pocket failure at 13.7 gr.

AA#9 does the same with 14.2 gr.

The two powders smell alike and look alike.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some of the Ramshot/Western powders have been written up in issues of HANDLOADER magazine over the last two years.

Posts: 10 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I've been using Ramshot Magnum some in my 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Weatherby. It works pretty good, but compared to other powders I have used, I don't see any advantages to this particular powder, except for perhaps the way it meters. In my rifles accuracy and velocity are no better and, in fact, are actually somewhat worse. John Barsness has stated that these powders have some sort of additive that is supposed to reduce copper fouling, but I have not noticed any reduction myself.

The fact is, there are many good powders brands out there and none stand head and shoulders above the rest, including Ramshot. However, each rifle is different and it's very possible a particular rifle may prefer this powder brand. You just have to use it and find out for yourself.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I use quite a bit of Tac in my PPC, Whelen and 223. Meters wonderfully, good velocity, and burns very clean, even at lower pressures. And, at $16 per can, it doesn't break the bank. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote