New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much can you stretch a case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know nothing about reloading so please bear with me.

My question is can you take the new 375 Ruger to 416? Can you get a case to stretch that much?

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is can you take the new 375 Ruger to 416

I take a 280 case to 375 and have taken them to 411 and 416. 375 to 416 would not be an issue. Nice tapered plug should do it in one step.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just have to go up/down in small increments at a time and anneal when neccesary. Below is my 45x19.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How far you can stretch a case depends on the metal's alloy, how many times it may have been reloaded and the method used. With good, new brass you should be okay.

I think Gerard has found the way to get maximum knock-down impact from a small cartridge.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard that's a cool cartridge Smiler

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet the .45x19 has some serious feeding issues. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerkface11:
I bet the .45x19 has some serious feeding issues. Wink

It must be muzzle loading. I bet it has extraction issues, too!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure how far a case will stretch and then how good will it survive after firing .

I do have it on good authority how far a penny will stretch !.
The Birth of Copper Wire !. rotflmo
Two Dutchmen wouldn't let go of that dam penny and made copper wire out of it .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
You just have to go up/down in small increments at a time and anneal when neccesary. Below is my 45x19.

headspaces on ??? bullet???

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried this when I was young and stupid. Now I am just stupid. The only way it could be made to work was to weld the firing pin hole shut, recess the breech face on the pistol to the round nose shape, cut a chamber in the barrel that would accept the case, heat it with a blowtorch to detonate the charge and launch the primer out the barrel.

That was way to much trouble so I use it for fun instead. sofa

Seriously, I found a good use for it. At club level handgun competitions the range officer scoring the targets would often doubt whether the hole is cutting the next higher scoring line. He would ask the competitor for a round, stick it in the hole and, if the brass touches the scoring line, give the higher score. I shot a Browning HP at the time and later a much modified Beretta 92 in 9mmP. When asked for a round, I would hand him the 45x19. Invariably the RO would laugh and score the higher score.
clap