Find
Notify
Tools

221 Fireball Forming
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
You can form 221 FB from 223 Rem just using the regular FL sizing die, right? I've read about using the form and trim die which I suspect in malarky. Little dab of Imperial and go? . . . . Not worried about neck thickness or uniformity at thick point.

I've done.30 Herrett FL die to form using .30-30. Nothing special there, except lopping off the extra length with a hack saw and a jig.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't you just buy headstamped remington 221 fireball brass?
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muskeg

I made hundreds of 221 from GI 5.56x45. FL die and trim.

An advantage of the trim die is that you can hack-saw off the excess length which makes final trimming a little easier.

I had one of the first 30 Herrett barrels many years ago and made my brass just like you did.

I lived in muskeg land for 30 years.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Why wouldn't you just buy headstamped remington 221 fireball brass?

And what fun would that be?

Seriously, $40+ per hundred. Can't readily buy less than 100-pc lots. Availability is spotty. No nickel brass (I think I saw a special run on it from Midway a while back)

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote