New
Find
Notify
Tools

best seating die
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i am trying to reload my 6.5-284, but i am having some problems. after seating the bullets on my dillion 550 with hornady new dimension dies, several of the bullets are "out of round". i tried seating the bullets on my RCBS single stage press with the same results. will these "out of round" bullets cause vertical stringing? if so, what die should i get for seating the bullets?

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Falls:

Get the Redding 65./284 Die set. I believe you can also get the competition sets that will eliminate that problem even better.

I am not a Dillon guy, but the friends I have that have a Dillon and load 6.5x284 do it on their non Dillon presses.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think Wilson makes the best seater that's within the price range the average guy can afford. The grip on the case plus the plunger type seater minimizes case runout . If used in conjunction with their neck sizing bushing dies you should have the run out reduced to a minimum. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Reading some of your posts, You are a pretty cool guy for living in Montreal, which I would not think would be a very firearm tolerant environment. [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
Also look at Forster benchrest dies. I have several sets, including .22 hornet - which is inclined to runout due to the thin brass. Not a problem with Forster.

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exsanguinate:

Before I would spend the money on any precision seating die I would be sure that is where I need to spend my money. No matter how good the seating die is it will not correct existing problems with brass. Whether the problem is brass with excentric necks, sizing dies with excentricity problems, press to die misalignment,etc. etc. .
I would suggest you carefully check runout on your sized/ready to load brass. If it is out of Spec for you(you get to select this number), then the problem is not your seating die (at least not your only problem). [Mad]
Finding the problem/s requires several pieces of as near perfect brass as you can find. This includes neck thickness variance as well as concentric neck/body/heads. then check and change one thing at a time.
As an aside the short term/cheap fix is to only sightly seat a bullet then turn the case in the holder 1/4 or 1/3 of a turn. Seat slightly more. Turn 1/4 or 1/3 of a turn more. Until one complete revolution and bullet seated fully. Theory is this cancels out the +/- of the press to case to die excentricity problems. It works pretty good, not always, but pretty often.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote