Notify
Tools

Water Quenching and Annealing Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
This has been debated quite a lot. Here is the answer;

Water quenching after annealing (while still hot) is the best thing to do. Not because it protects the head from being annealed but because it prevents the regrouth of larger crystals in the neck area. That is, slow cooling is less effective than rapid cooling, as in water quenching.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WiNdTeCh
posted Hide Post
So.... Ice water... Wink

Cooper .223 - Burris 8-32x50
JR Custom AR-15 - Burris 8-32x50 Mil-dot

Posts: 67 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
This has been debated quite a lot. Here is the answer;

Water quenching after annealing (while still hot) is the best thing to do. Not because it protects the head from being annealed but because it prevents the regrouth of larger crystals in the neck area. That is, slow cooling is less effective than rapid cooling, as in water quenching.

Roll EyesAAHHH-AAAHHHH***Oh MY! holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 years ago I read about annealing necks on Varmint Al's web site.
I tried it.
That is a fast way to wreck brass.

I own 50 times as much brass as I fire per year.
I have ~ 10 years left to hunt.

I am giving up on annealing.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have annealed a lot of brass with excellent results. I have an autoloader that mangles brass.
I would much rather cut off and form brass for the autoloader from range pickup 30-06 than to pay retail for new brass that is going to be chewed up and ejected onto the ground.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Hey what are some of the ways people anneal and quench there brass? Maybe we could come up with a effective method that will not wreck brass and so on and so forth. I believe I have seen these posted before.....

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote