Find
Notify
Tools

Loading TSX bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have a number of loading manuals that give load data buy bullet weight alone. I am wondering if you can use that data with a Barnes TSX bullet. Since the TSX bullets are "banded" do they have about the same bearing surface as a conventional bullet of the same weight?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
you need to reference the Barnes website and email them for load data. They will send data to you via email.

You should reference 2 books when loading Barnes TSX bullets. The Barnes manual and the powder manual. Other than that, they will email you.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I have a number of loading manuals that give load data buy bullet weight alone. I am wondering if you can use that data with a Barnes TSX bullet. Since the TSX bullets are "banded" do they have about the same bearing surface as a conventional bullet of the same weight?

Dave

NO.

The Barnes bullets are longer and therefore seat deeper in the case...taking up more case capacity...and therefore increasing pressures for the same powder weight.

The data is NOT directly interchangeable.

Having said that, Barnes does put their loading data freely on their website. Enjoy!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are going to get all kinds of responses here, to be sure.

However, in general I find that loading data for other bullets work ok for the Barnes TSX.
Sure, they are longer for any given weight, but with grooves they have on the shaft, the pressures are similar.

In my 25-06 and my 7mm Wby Mag I wound up using exactly the same load when switching from Nosler Partitions to Barnes TSX bullets.

So, while you want to start low and work up, as you would with any component change, I think you will find that loading data will be pretty close with the Barnes TSX and other bullets, especially the Nosler Partition. This cannot be said of some of the older Barnes offerings.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pardon my slightly off topic question about Barnes TSX, and load data (thread hijack?), is the Barnes laoding data sensitive to variations in components?

The reason I ask is I cannot find Federal GM210M Match grade large rifle primers for love nor money here in the UK.

I have been forced to subsitute CCI BR-2 primers. Additionally, while the latest Barnes manual recipe for .338-06, TSX 210 grain uses Winchester cases, I have been using .338-06 head stamped Weatherby cases and am obtaining .338-06 head stamped Norma cases.

It is the collar and cuff matches thing, if I am ever challenged by the Police.

The other difference, my rilfe has a nominal 24.5 inch barrel. agains the Barnes test data / 25 inch barrel.

What I discovered is I am a good 100 fps of the book velocity with both starting load of 50.0 grains Reloader 15. This difference is maintained as I increase the charge upto the book maximum of 53 grains. I do not see / experience the classic signs of a 'hot load'.

FYI, my max velocity / max charge load, or average v/c = 48.81 fps per grain, = the 'book gives 50.74 fps/grain.

My dynamic v/c, how much the velocity changes per grain towards the top end of the charge, i.e from 52.0 to 53.0 grains of RL-15 is 39 fps per grain.

So, would changing the primer from the recipe make that much difference?

Could the internal volume of Winchester and Weatherby / Norma be so different, giving rise to different internal pressures and, hence velocities?

Do I just have a slow barrel? (The barrel is a stainless, Pac-Nor Match Grade barrel)

The day had bright, sunny intervals, I was shooting in my shirt! Could this given rise to 'low' chronograph reading?

My dynamic V/C

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robthom:
Pardon my slightly off topic question about Barnes TSX, and load data (thread hijack?), is the Barnes laoding data sensitive to variations in components?

The reason I ask is I cannot find Federal GM210M Match grade large rifle primers for love nor money here in the UK.

I have been forced to subsitute CCI BR-2 primers. Additionally, while the latest Barnes manual recipe for .338-06, TSX 210 grain uses Winchester cases, I have been using .338-06 head stamped Weatherby cases and am obtaining .338-06 head stamped Norma cases.

It is the collar and cuff matches thing, if I am ever challenged by the Police.

The other difference, my rilfe has a nominal 24.5 inch barrel. agains the Barnes test data / 25 inch barrel.

What I discovered is I am a good 100 fps of the book velocity with both starting load of 50.0 grains Reloader 15. This difference is maintained as I increase the charge upto the book maximum of 53 grains. I do not see / experience the classic signs of a 'hot load'.

FYI, my max velocity / max charge load, or average v/c = 48.81 fps per grain, = the 'book gives 50.74 fps/grain.

My dynamic v/c, how much the velocity changes per grain towards the top end of the charge, i.e from 52.0 to 53.0 grains of RL-15 is 39 fps per grain.

So, would changing the primer from the recipe make that much difference?

Could the internal volume of Winchester and Weatherby / Norma be so different, giving rise to different internal pressures and, hence velocities?

Do I just have a slow barrel? (The barrel is a stainless, Pac-Nor Match Grade barrel)

The day had bright, sunny intervals, I was shooting in my shirt! Could this given rise to 'low' chronograph reading?

My dynamic V/C

Don't take this wrong but have you read the flyer that comes with the Barnes TSX.
You may have to exceed max loads by 1 or 2gr to achieve max velocity and it tells how to measure CHE.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom Holland,

I read that bit in the folded leaflet inside the plastic boxes of bullets too.

Hmmm, I do not get it. The usual reloading manual exhortations are never exceed the maximum charge.

I think, originally, the statement referred to the time when the 'new' TSX first arrived, but there was n't published (book) data. I believe, but might be wrong, the advice was for using the 'old', being phased out, X bullet reloading data with the new TSX bullets.

I have been weighing every charge using an electronic scale, 5 rounds for each powder charge 'test'.

Going up by one half grain at a time, when you are over the maximum charge, seems 'scary' to me. I think I would do 0.2 grain, possibly 0.3 grain. My scale wo 'nt measure to 0.25 grain (on the digital screen display)

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When changing any component on your handloads, I would always back off a few grains and work up accordingly. Case capacities can and do vary, primer's relative hottness varies, and so on.

The piece of paper in the Barnes TSX box does not say to go over a maximum charge. It is simply comparing the "new" TSX to the old "X" style bullet which had a greater bearing surface and created maximum chamber pressures with less powder.

A simple example would be if your 150grn Barnes X load was 52.0gr of IMR4350, then the TSX load might go to 53-54.0gr to get the same velocity. This still does not mean that with another bullet, say a Hornady, the maximum charge might be 56.0gr or closer to 53.0gr.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
However, in general I find that loading data for other bullets work ok for the Barnes TSX.

Always load up and watch for pressure signs in YOUR rifle with YOUR components. But in general, I find R Flower's comment mirrors my experience.

Unlike the original Barnes-X, the TSX I have worked with have not been particularly prone to producing high pressure.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom Holland,

I read that bit in the folded leaflet inside the plastic boxes of bullets too.

Hmmm, I do not get it. The usual reloading manual exhortations are never exceed the maximum charge.

I think, originally, the statement referred to the time when the 'new' TSX first arrived, but there was n't published (book) data. I believe, but might be wrong, the advice was for using the 'old', being phased out, X bullet reloading data with the new TSX bullets.

I have been weighing every charge using an electronic scale, 5 rounds for each powder charge 'test'.

Going up by one half grain at a time, when you are over the maximum charge, seems 'scary' to me. I think I would do 0.2 grain, possibly 0.3 grain. My scale wo 'nt measure to 0.25 grain (on the digital screen display)

As stated in the guideline "it may be possible to exceed maximum loads listed by one or two grains as compared to the Barnes X bullet". I guess if you didn't shoot the X bullet going over wouldn't be a good idea. I assume we are talking about the same thing Barnes bullets. not others.

Working up Barnes data for the TSX I've shot different brands bullets most times the TSX is alittle faster here some data from my Hart barrel 270

53.5gr/H-4350 140gr TSX 3132fps 140gr Hornady 3087fps
54gr/H-4350 140gr TSX 3172fps 140gr Hornady 3148fps

My Lilja barrel 270 with 54gr/H-4350 140gr TSX 3194fps

I did the same thing with a 300WSM and 280AI using Barnes data for the TSX working up other bullets.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:

My dynamic V/C

FWIW I have only ever shot one rifle (300RUM) that matched or exceeded published velocities over my Oehler chronograph. Typically reloading manuals are worked up using universal receivers and longer barrels than in most sporting arms (some do use commercially available fireams tho) but the velocities are still usually "optomistic".

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've used 165 & 168 grain bullets in a 30/06 that include Barnes Banded Solids, Barnes TSX, Nosler BTHP match bullets, Hornady Interbonds, etc. and the weight of Varget used was the same for all.

As far as primers go, if you use Remington primers, you will probably need to reduce the charge when using other primers. In cartridge cases the size of 308 Winchester and above, I've found no need to adjust loads when switching between Federal, CCI and Winchester primers in both the large rifle and large rifle magnum versions.

As for the Barnes manual, the loads in the older one were in many cases pretty hot so approach with caution.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote