New
Find
Notify
Tools

speer gold dot expansion test
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of weeks ago I tested some factory speer gold dots in the test tube expansion media. Take a look at some pics;

Viewed from the back of the bullet, just above where it came to rest. I cut in from the backside to remove the bullet.

Entire wound path with the bullet resting almost completely through. This was deeper penetration than any other 200 grain 45 HP bullet I have fired into the "test tube" media. But that's not too many, as I just started experimenting with it.

Frontal view, a bit out of focus. Expansion was .865 at it's widest with the rest at .705.

If there's any doubt about whether the gold bond is a bonded bullet, the appearance of the lead clinging to the copper plate, the 100% retained weight, AND the total absence of lead in the wound channel should be proof enough.

Now, Speer has stopped selling gold dots as reloading components. Instead they are now calling them "deep curl". It's basically the same bullet only a different packaging. As soon as the 45-200 deep curl becomes available, I'll get some and load them to re-test.

[URL="http://www.thebullettesttube.com/"]http://www.thebullettesttube.com/[/URL]

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I understood it the Deep Curl is similar to the Gold Dot but heavier construction ??? Rather than just renamed.

There are three lines GD Personal Protection, GD PP Short Barrel , and Deep Curl HP and Deep Curl SP
The 44 GDHP, 210 gr is #4428. The DCHP ,210 gr is #4455, DCSP 240gr is #4456 ,and the DCSP 270 gr is #4461 !
Yes catalogs can be confusing ! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More penetration than any other 200 gr HP? Maybe because it's a 201.2 gr? Wink

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARWL:
More penetration than any other 200 gr HP? Maybe because it's a 201.2 gr? Wink

Since it was a factory speer load, I have no way to know what the original weight was. It could have been 202 grains and it lost some weight.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote