New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for reduced 308 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking for a load that will not have much flash (none prefered) out of an 18" BBL 77RSI. I will be using the 150 grain Barnes X FP (intended for the 30-30) and want to keep muzze e velocity around 1900.
thanks

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Do a search for blue dot loads. I've been pleasantly pleased with the accuracy and mild report of blue dot when downloading the .308.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersStart with 17.5gr. blue dot. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
17.5 gr.= projected MV?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KS, While Blue Dot and other pistol powders can be used to good effect (I generally use and like the milsurp version of AA #9 in my rifles.), Accurate Arms' 5744 is designed to perform well with reduced loads...and it does.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
17.5 gr.= projected MV?

Should be very close to 1900fps. depending on your rifle,case, primer Oal., elevation and phase of the moon. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS: IMR's SR4759 works great as a reduced load propellent in all of the .308 based calibers. Start with 21.0 grains for that Barnes bullet and expect pleasant shooting with excellent accuracy. SR4759 has rapidly become one of my favorite powders.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote