New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: sizing question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm pretty anal about those things and have been since I started reloading. I've been guilty of buying once fired brass for .223's at a gun show once. I'll never do that again. It was fed. brass. I bought 3000. I full lenght sized. Trimmed and uniformed the primer pockets only to find out the pockets were a little too loose for my liking.
Every case I have for this gun started out new. Even some of those chambered stiff. This has never happened with factory ammo...but this gun has only been treated to a couple of boxes of them for a experiment.
As far as trimming...I would'nt do it unless it was time. I'm lazy.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll do that. The gun shoots ok. Thats why I've hung on to it and I have'nt made a trip to a smith. Figured I'd do that when I shot it out. I've been just livin with the extra work. Just want to rule myself out as part of the problem. I'm sure there are a bunch of folks on here that know more about this stuff than I do. I appreciate all info. A trip to a smith is probably in order. Thanks

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have ran into this problem w/ my cases. Once they have been fired 2-3 times after neck sizing they get extremely hard to bolt in. My problem was that the case shoulder was hitting so, I bought a redding die that "Bumps" the shoulder down alittle and they load great now. The die does not touch the neck so neck sizing can still be done.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting...If this die only bumps the shoulder back, then there should be no case stretching like with full lenght sizing. Right? If thats the case...Thats what I'm after. Better case life and less trimming. Thanks