Find
Notify
Tools

The Ogive Study
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
I'm down to the last 83 of a rather large bulk lot of Remington .224, 50 grain psp bullets I've been using for a while. They always shot groups half again as large as the better shooting bullets I usually gravitated to in various 222s and 223s over the years. Still I shot them at larger varmints and at shorter ranges and was really satisfied with game performance: groundhogs usually killed quickly, crows torn apart, etc. Today I adjusted my RCBS casemaster so I could get the dial indicator on the middle of the bullet base when I firmly placed the bullet in a Sinclair comparator nut and slid it under the indicator probe. I set the indicator to 0 using a random pick of bullet and then measured them all. 6 measured @ -.007/8; 14 @ -.005; 32@ -.002; 15 @-.001; 12 @ 0; 4 @ +.001. Am I likely to get the benefit of my labour doing this with another bulk lot of these bullets and segregating my reloads by ogive?

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
probably would take care of an occasional flyer.
lots of bullets loaded to the same seating depth will be more consistent.
It also depends on what accuracy you are satisfied with.
do a couple samples and see what effect it has on groups.
If you shoot longrange 300+ you will see a good bit of diffrence
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
... Am I likely to get the benefit of my labour doing this with another bulk lot of these bullets and segregating my reloads by ogive?
Hey N.S. Sherlock, The only way to know is to segregate the remaining 83 and see how well they do for you and then sit back and decide if it is worth it.

Let me recommend an alternative for you. Buy a small box of the 50gr Rem PLHPs(not PSPs) and see how well they shoot for you.

I find them to be quite accurate for an inexpensive bullet. With my tired old eyes, I can "normally" put 3-shots "averaging in the 8s(6s-1.0s) with non-sorted, randomly picked bullets from the box.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote