THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wish I could have as much fun as these kids!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being active in the local Cub Scouts with my son, this coming week is the Scout Day Camp. Last minute things that need done by the other leaders, and I have 4 boys that I am looking after this afternoon.

From ages 9 to 11. I know all the parents so they are happy about it. I took all four out shooting.

I let each one load up 10 shells of 30/30. Teaching them about the loadings and reasons why. It is amazing how rowdy kids can get so interested in this.

The load was 11 grains of Blue Dot with a 160 grain Cast bullet ( Oregon Trail bullets) and the rifle is a Marlin 30/30 with a 1 to 4 power bushnell scope on it.

Instead of targets I set them up with soda cans filled with water as targets. Each time they explode one they are just in euphoria.

They are bringing them home to show their parents. It gives a good opportunity to teach them rifle safety as they will also be on the scout BB range this coming week, but they are feeling like they are "in the Know", where the other kids probably will not be.

I got more enjoyment out of it watching the kids, than I would ever get on my own. I also brought out my chronograph and clocked some rounds which they also loved the daylights out of that.

I highly recommend take kids shooting. It was very fulfilling and rewarding afternoon for me.

Cheers and Good shooting

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I took some boy scouts out to the range to practice their shotgun skills. I also lined up someone else to help them, (if I helped them shoot shotguns, it would be the blind leading the blind)I just provided the place.

Anyway, when they finished, they came to the rifle range where I was and I had 20 rounds of 7 mm Remington magnum that I was fireforming to my #1's chamber.

Lite loads just off the lands. I had already shot about half and let them shoot the rest. they were impressed that they had shot a "magnum" I had to really watch them because they wanted the brass for a sovenier.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the best thing we can do is take people shooting who have never shot before. Many kids and adults have a very distorted view of guns. We need to open those people up to a world of good clean fun.

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Well done Seafire!!

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
At a range here in Anchorage they have an annual kids day. Kids from 12-18 get to shoot everything from muzzle loaders to machine guns. There were about 300-400 kids. Each range is run by some group like Safari Int. for highpower, the cowboy action group, bow hunters etc. The kids were divided up into groups and they rotate through.

There was a demonstration by some guy from Beretta, the army, SWAT, the machine gun club.

All in all, an excellent day. Price, including lunch - free.

I talked my son out of getting a machinegun, but I have a feeling I am going to have to get into clays. That was his highlight of the day.