THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 Jeffery reloading problem - can you help?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
My first problem is that I live in RSA and can only get Somchem powder..... when I look in their relading data and check with the relevant bullet manufacturer they tell me that 110 grains of S335 powder behind a 500 grain bullet will give me around 2500 fps and is a safe load.

BUT when I check that on my friends Quickshot reloading programme it tells me this load exceeds my approved pressure limits and shouldn't be used.......So who's right and who's wrong?

Can anyone out there comment on this please?

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf,

Guess I could have just e-mailed you about this as you're the real fundi.

I'm certain the bullets are 500 grains as I weighed them. They're made by GS Custom and I ordered them to try......I've only loaded a couple of dummies at the moment to see if they feed properly and so far, I've gotta say I'm very impressed. Not only with how identical they are in weight and how they feed but I'm also impressed with the customer service level from GSC.

I don't like the idea of duplex loads for some reason, so maybe I'll load a couple of S341 (starting at 106 grains) and work from there.

I was worried that the Somchem figures I had were so different from those on the Quickload programme - but I now suspect it's the programme that's wrong.....

I e-mailed Somchem but haven't had a reply. - guess they might not have opened up after the Christmas break yet...... you know how this country loves an extended break!!!!

If you don't mind, I'll e-mail you in a week or two if I need further advice......

I only ever shoot the rifle at close range anyway (40 or 50 yards is a long shot) so I guess I don't have to be too exact with POI matching my SPs........

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alf, yes they are the Gerards banded......